Looking for a good book on negotiating

29 Replies

Hey all, 

Looking for a good book on Negotiating. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,  

The Book on Negotiating Real Estate: by @J Scott and @Mark Fergusson.

I agree on Never Split the difference
Also he didn't write a book but Michael Quarles who was on Podcast 077 and has his own site is a pretty good negotiator himself. 

@Steven Denio While they aren't directly about negotiations, Robert Cialdini's "Influence" & "Pre-Suasion" are good companions to Never Split The Difference, as they go into the how & why of influencing people's behavior. After reading all three, you can recognize the similarities between Michael Quarles & Chris Voss.

@Steven Denio I've read lots of negotiation books (probably 30+) as I think it's the #1 skill in business (and probably life). My top 3:

-Secrets of Power Negotiation by Roger Dawson

-Never Split the Difference by Chris Voss

-Getting More by Stuart Diamond

I also attended a two day Karrass Negotiation Seminar per a recommendation from a BP member. It was expensive (~$1200) but it was worth 10x times that. Would highly recommend.

@Steven Denio anything j Scott writes is excellent. The Chris Voss book is very god too. Older but still outstanding is Power Negotiating by Roger Dawson. I don’t know if it is a book. I bought it as an audio program by Nightengale Conant.

I also recommend the Karrass Negotiation Seminar if you have the time/money. I learn a lot from books, but hands on exercises and games I get more out of. 

Also, I still have 2 x of the books they gave me as homework for the course. Happy to ship them to you (for free) if you want them. I'll put them in the mail.  One is "Negotiating Effectively" and the other is "You Don't Get What You Deserve, You Get What You Negotiate".  Let me know!

@Joel O'Leary you're the one that recommended it to me! Thank you for that, by the way. I really enjoyed it. Wish there some other good seminars out there but frankly that is the only one that I've heard good things about. 

@Steven Denio I’ve got to agree with @Manny Cirino with: Never split the difference. In addition to that is : Crucial Conversations: Tools for talking when the stakes are high. This doesn’t focus solely on negotiations but on how you communicate during the negotiations and how you present yourself. I’d recommend both books to get a well rounded grasp.