• Thousand Oaks, CA
Votes |
Roofstock Any Good Guys?

Jonathan Jaime Velarde
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Thousand Oaks, CA
Posted Sep 4 2018, 04:40
Has anyone bought on roofstock yet? If yes, how did the process go. Looking for some reviews. Thx!

User Stats

Votes
Jason G.
Pro Member
#5 Ask About A Real Estate Company Contributor
  • Long Island, NY
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Long Island, NY
Replied Sep 4 2018, 12:51
Originally posted by @Jonathan Jaime Velarde:
Has anyone bought on roofstock yet? If yes, how did the process go. Looking for some reviews. Thx!

There have been quite a few reviews posted, just search for Roofstock in the search bar.

User Stats

Votes
John Lee
  • Tampa, FL
Votes |
  • Tampa, FL
Replied Sep 12 2018, 12:12

So far, I'm a little bit less impress. I'm in contract for a property with the understanding that immediate repair is being addressed. However, that is not the case. The properties on roofstock in sold as-is. You are responsible for the entire capex. And if the property happen to be close to where you live, seller do not like to disturb tenant and would not let you see the property. 

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Jason G.
Pro Member
  • Long Island, NY
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Long Island, NY
Replied Sep 13 2018, 14:20
Originally posted by @John Lee:

So far, I'm a little bit less impress. I'm in contract for a property with the understanding that immediate repair is being addressed. However, that is not the case. The properties on roofstock in sold as-is. You are responsible for the entire capex. And if the property happen to be close to where you live, seller do not like to disturb tenant and would not let you see the property. 

What gave you the impression that repair items listed in the inspection report or on the property listing would be addressed by the seller or buyer?  

User Stats

Votes
John Lee
  • Tampa, FL
Votes |
  • Tampa, FL
Replied Sep 13 2018, 14:36

Notice the language in the first capex  that the property is being repair. 

Second, my initial contact with roofstock account executive lead me to believe I'm only responsible for the @ turn capex

User Stats

Votes
Jason G.
Pro Member
  • Long Island, NY
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Long Island, NY
Replied Sep 14 2018, 05:54
Originally posted by @John Lee:

Notice the language in the first capex  that the property is being repair. 

Second, my initial contact with roofstock account executive lead me to believe I'm only responsible for the @ turn capex

Those are typically the items the inspector is recommending be addressed immediately vs. at turnover.  However, the language in the the first item and the email response does make it appear the seller would be handling at least that first item.  What did Roofstock say when you pointed this out to them? 

User Stats

Votes
John Lee
  • Tampa, FL
Votes |
  • Tampa, FL
Replied Sep 14 2018, 06:51
@Jason Gines they basically said I'm out of luck and the property being sold as-is

User Stats

Votes
Simcha Davidman
  • Baltimore, MD
Votes |
  • Baltimore, MD
Replied Jan 17 2019, 06:00

@John Lee How has your experience been since your last post? Thanks!

User Stats

Votes
John Lee
  • Tampa, FL
Votes |
  • Tampa, FL
Replied Jan 17 2019, 08:04
Originally posted by @Simcha Davidman:

@John Lee How has your experience been since your last post? Thanks!

Roofstock offer to credit the amount of fixing the post problem in closing.

We closed on Oct 24th, the title company used previous tax year to determine the credit for the tax in 2018 around $534.64. On November 1 I found out the real property tax was $1754. So I'm on the hook for that. Make sure to know the tax date or rate on the county that  you buy property from and negotiate tax credit with buyer before.  (Not roofstock's fault, and no one really tell first time house buyer that something to look out for)

The seller is a large multi state management company. They have not update in their system that they sold the property, so they take my tenant November rent. My initial contact with roofstock rep about the problem, they told me that the seller have no knowledge of such. My property manager has contacted them multiple time to get it back for about 2 month.  Finally I contacted roofstock again and escalate to another rep, and the problem was fixed within week. ( If you decided to buy from roofstock and encounter problem in transaction, the person to talk to in roofstock transaction manager. If you encounter problem after closing, they have another manager that handle issue after closing. So make sure to ask for that info)

My overall experience with roofstock was good. If I decided to buy turnkey again, I would look at roofstock property. 

Real estate is local so unless you live in somewhere crazy expensive, I would talk to local investor first before jump into turnkey. You buying at retail price at roofstock. Turnkey property do come with unforeseen issue so make sure you are ready for that.  The roof on my property leak after 2 months from a heavy rain. The roof was brand new installed in January 2018 and had no issue during the hurricane season. The original roofer come and fixed the roof at no cost. but finding the permit for the roof to find the original roofer was a learning lesson as well. I will save that for another story. 

User Stats

Votes
Simcha Davidman
  • Baltimore, MD
Votes |
  • Baltimore, MD
Replied Jan 17 2019, 10:58

@John Lee thank you!