Skip to content
Buying & Selling Real Estate

User Stats

Votes
Gus Muller
  • Minneapolis, MN
Votes |
Deal closing March 15th. Fix and Flip? Wholesale? Rental?

Gus Muller
  • Minneapolis, MN
Posted Feb 15 2019, 07:05

Greetings community! I am a real estate broker, licensed building contractor, and I have done 10 fix and flips, with #11 set to close March 15th!

I am paying 190K (my own cash). 3 bedroom, 1 bathroom, 1 car garage rambler in hot area of Minneapolis. I've run the comps and ARV is $310K+ if I choose to fix and flip. Should run under $50K to renovate. Original owner, good bones, finished basement.

I know the fix and flip will most likely net me much more in the long run, however I am also pretty confident I could clean it up and wholesale or toss it directly on the MLS for $215K-$220K and could pocket $25K-$30K quickly with little to no effort.

I don't think the rental numbers make much sense on this one, and I don't have any rentals. I think I'd need to pay less in the future to make the cash flow possible.

So, do I take the fast money and pump that into finding more leads? Or, do I tie my cash (AND TIME RUNNING THE SHOW) up and flip this one for the larger profit (in about 3-4 months). I know that with the house free and clear after I close that I can borrow against it cheaply, but having $190K cash out there will inhibit my ability to close on other properties.

• Broker Minnesota (#40632642) and Minnesota (#BC756273)

True Neighbor - www.trueneighbor.com Logo

User Stats

Votes
Gus Kazek
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Cleveland, OH
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Cleveland, OH
Replied Feb 15 2019, 07:11
@Gus Muller Flip that house and then invest the proceeds into a multifamily building to rent out! The number make more sense for a flip on this one based on what you have provided.

User Stats

Votes
Michael Ealy
  • Developer
  • Cincinnati, OH
Votes |
  • Developer
  • Cincinnati, OH
Replied Feb 15 2019, 07:12
Originally posted by @Gus Muller:

Greetings community! I am a real estate broker, licensed building contractor, and I have done 10 fix and flips, with #11 set to close March 15th!

I am paying 190K (my own cash). 3 bedroom, 1 bathroom, 1 car garage rambler in hot area of Minneapolis. I've run the comps and ARV is $310K+ if I choose to fix and flip. Should run under $50K to renovate. Original owner, good bones, finished basement.

I know the fix and flip will most likely net me much more in the long run, however I am also pretty confident I could clean it up and wholesale or toss it directly on the MLS for $215K-$220K and could pocket $25K-$30K quickly with little to no effort.

I don't think the rental numbers make much sense on this one, and I don't have any rentals. I think I'd need to pay less in the future to make the cash flow possible.

So, do I take the fast money and pump that into finding more leads? Or, do I tie my cash (AND TIME RUNNING THE SHOW) up and flip this one for the larger profit (in about 3-4 months). I know that with the house free and clear after I close that I can borrow against it cheaply, but having $190K cash out there will inhibit my ability to close on other properties.

Gus,

To me the velocity of money is more important than the actual profit specially if you can find another deal which is even more profitable than this one.

Do you have anothe deal lined up that will be a better use of your time (example: higher profit fix and flip)?

If YES - I would say Wholesale it first and if you can't find a buyer within 30 days, go ahead and fix and flip it.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Gus Muller
  • Minneapolis, MN
Votes |
  • Minneapolis, MN
Replied Feb 15 2019, 07:14

@Gus Kazek so you are suggesting flip and resell, and take the profits and put that down on a multifamily? I assume using a 1031 exchange? I don't want to tie up all of my cash into a multifamliy building, but could see tying up the profits!

User Stats

Votes
Gus Kazek
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Cleveland, OH
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Cleveland, OH
Replied Feb 15 2019, 07:17
@Gus Muller yes, but that is just my opinion. you are doing no wrong with whatever you choose. I prefer the 1031 into multifamily for the long term wealth building aspect of constant cash flow. But this deal sounds more of a flip that anything else. Overall a solid deal.

User Stats

Votes
Gus Muller
  • Minneapolis, MN
Votes |
  • Minneapolis, MN
Replied Feb 15 2019, 07:19

@Michael Ealy that is great advise! My hard money lender made a similar suggestion. He thought wholesale first, MLS second, and if I can't get what I want for the quick money, third option would be fix/flip/sell.

I currently do not have another project in the pipeline, but I am working on that daily. I am launching a new company in April to get off market properties directly from sellers. Professional marketing/socail media campaign and website from a heavy hitter here in Minneapolis. No more playing around on the MLS or public retail sector. It is too crowded and expensive.

Big things coming!