15% down portfolio program? 6.75% interest

45 Replies

I found a 3 unit multi family today. I have pre-approval for 15% down on a portfolio program non owner occupied. Interest rate is 6.75% how insane is that? My FICO score is 799 am I getting boned? I’ve never heard of 15% down usually 20-25 minimum.

@Roger Evans Welcome to BP and congrats on finding the deal!

15% down is a real thing, and yes, you often pay a higher interest rate for it. You can ask them what rate they'd charge if you put down 20-25%.

But first, are you dealing with a legit lender? You could be getting scammed, but neither the 15% nor the 6.75% rate are inherently red-flaggy.

First, on a multi, you are lucky to have even found someone that will loan at 85% ltv. With the rarity of that, yes Id expect to pay a very high interest rate. At 25% down conventional youd probably be at 5%.

Originally posted by @Doran Summers :

@Dylan Mejo depends on credit score over 640 and value is over $100,000 you should be getting 80% ltv.

Never been able to get 20% down as per Fannie/Freddie guidelines. Nor any local portfolio lender in my area. Owner occupied buildings...sure 

@Dylan Mejo you may have to look outside your area for lenders. Just a thought. Less guidelines and easier to close. I think rates for QM lenders are a little higher. These are programs which is t hard money but softer guidelines that banks.

@Roger Evans I think you have great terms at 15% down. You mentioned about wanting to sell in 3 to 5 years. So I would go with the lender you have unless you think it’s better terms for 15% down. Then refinance would still come with fees so keep that in mind. Plus you might not have enough equity in the property to refi after a year or two. Then you have prepayment penalties which is probably 3 to 5 years.

check to make sure you get term sheets first and review. Does the home need to be already rented for the bank?

@Roger Evans everything I’ve bought so far has been a commercial real estate note, 6%-7% on a 20 year note, at 85% loan/15% down. I’ve been lucky enough for lenders to pay part of the 85% toward acquisition, and I pay closing costs. Repairs are my responsibility up to that 15%, then the loan kicks in for the remainder. I’ve done this 3 times now, and it’s let me do almost 0% down since I can do repairs at my own pace and use OPM for repairs, as long as I provide receipts.

In my market, change in rate between, say, 5-8% are so negligible in mortgage payment that I gladly concede that to get the 0% down terms that I like.

It’s a give and take game. Find a bank that lets you play to win.

Tim

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here