Best markets to invest in Texas?

9 Replies

We are considering several different options for our next investment, (multi-family, single-family home, using a company like rent to retirement, etc.) and I am wondering if anyone knows about the best place in Texas to invest in? My guess is San Antonio or DFW.

We are quite close to San Antonio, but would need a property management company if we were to go as far as DFW.

Any other thoughts or areas to suggest?

@Dusty Laurin it depends on what your goals are. From what you wrote above, you are open to a variety of investment types which sometimes I personally think makes it harder to find what you really want. Tell me, any reason you don't want to keep investing in New Braunfels?

I am sure there are many areas that are pretty hot around the DFW and Austin-San Antonio areas.  I just finished my first investment and it was in New Braunfels.  I am leaning towards SA more now.  Primarily due to the more affordable prices and it seems like a strong rental market.  

@Lucia Rushton , no we are still very open to New Braunfels as well, and would actually prefer to continue investing here and self-managing, but the home prices keep going up. We are just doing the research now for future purchases. Honestly, all that matters are the numbers, so we’re just looking for the best investments regardless of what city they’re in.

@Lucia Rushton , you also make a good point about being open to too many options. We are still very new to all of this and we’re trying to find our niche, so that’s why we’re looking at every option we can. Once we settle in and find what works for us, I’m sure we’ll be able to narrow the playing field and focus more on a particular strategy.

Hi @Dusty Laurin

If you're interested in deciding where to invest speaking with local market experts can be one of the best ways to make sure you are making the right decision about where you are investing.

Having worked with Steve Rozenberg, Bigger Pockets contributor, professional real estate investor, and Head of Investment Education at Mynd Management, I've learned that not having a local team can be one of the biggest drains on investors return on investment and can also cause delays when it comes time to pull the trigger on purchasing a rental property.

There are some great ways to source a local team. I'm happy to tell you more if you're interested.