Out Of State Investing - Where To Go?

6 Replies

Hi,

I currently own one investment property, a triplex out of California.  We just purchased it December 30, 2020.  I am looking to invest out of state for buy and hold and looking to do little to money down.  I am hoping you could provide your suggested markets and why.  I have looked at Indiana, Ohio, Texas and a little of Illinois.  I am not quite sure where to focus on.  Thank you so much!

Originally posted by @Mark Feaver :

Hi,

I currently own one investment property, a triplex out of California.  We just purchased it December 30, 2020.  I am looking to invest out of state for buy and hold and looking to do little to money down.  I am hoping you could provide your suggested markets and why.  I have looked at Indiana, Ohio, Texas and a little of Illinois.  I am not quite sure where to focus on.  Thank you so much!

It does not matter where you start as long as you develop your Core 4. The core 4 is David Greene’s strategy for long-distance and made up of a realtor, contractor, property manager, and lender. Once you have this team in place, you should be able to confidently invest in any market.

As for picking a specific market - I would go after one with an increasing job and population growth. I invest and work in Columbus, Ohio.

Originally posted by @Mark Feaver :

Hi,

There are several good markets in Ohio. Cleveland, Cincinnati, and Columbus are the main three. I personally think that you'll see the best returns in Columbus as the appreciation has been great, you can also still cash flow in the market.  

I would be glad to discuss Indianapolis with you.  Economic diversity and growth are the strong points here.  Because we have such a diverse economy, there is a big diversity in the type of investments you can do here.

Ohio is a great market, I've heard good things about Indianapolis as well. In Columbus you have the hottest and most expensive of Columbus where appreciation is stronger and cash flow pretty good. Then Cleveland, Cincy, Dayton, Toledo, and Akron are more cash flow markets with lower appreciation and growth.