Skip to content
Buying & Selling Real Estate
Account Closed
Votes |
FHA loan & safety issues in west Humboldt park

Account Closed
Posted Oct 24 2021, 22:38

I’m about to close on a multi family in west Humboldt park. 2 units with an unfinished basement (plan is to turn the basement into a unit)

I'm on an FHA loan so I must live in one of the units for 1 year. But the thing is, the area is not… the friendliest/safest. What are some safety measures and precautions I can take? I will be putting up security cameras around the building and setting up an alarm for my unit.

But is putting a security camera on the garage to view the alley okay as well? Because if it’s fine, I’m doing it. 

What are some other precautions I can take? Any thoughts and experiences on west Humboldt ? I asked my girl friend to room with me but she’s nervous about the area as well. I really do think people will most likely leave me alone if I install cameras. But I can’t help to still be fearful. 

The reason I’m getting this property is because I see value in the following years and it’s a beautiful building. Everything about it is great except the area (for now) 

User Stats

Votes
Caroline Gerardo
  • Lender
  • Laguna Niguel, CA
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Laguna Niguel, CA
Replied Oct 25 2021, 07:56

Location you cannot change.

List: German shepard mixed breed dog, garage to lock up car (smashing windows is common), old ugly car with perfect engine and locks, fortify doors and windows, never leave anything of value visible, sell your fancy electronics and jewelry, Muay Thai classes, always be scanning area before you go through a door, make friends with neighbors-neighborhood watch, how are you with a gun? if you are comfortable start practicing and get permit to carry, what's the parking like in the neighborhood, have you gone there at night and sat in your car for a couple hours, add a ton of lights to the exterior that can't be smashed with a broom or shot out, can you blend in? (this one is difficult to apply if you are different you need to change how you dress and act), don't carry lots of things, don't have packages delivered to doorstep, and this: what are you willing to give up when they come at you?

User Stats

Votes
Jonathan Klemm
Pro Member
  • Contractor
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Contractor
  • Chicago, IL
ModeratorReplied Oct 25 2021, 08:39

@Account Closed - What side of Humboldt Park is your property on?  I live on the NE side and there is no real concern of any problems.  I know if your property is on the SW side that is where the hottest (high crime) area would be, but also likely has the biggest upside.

There are definitely no issues putting up video cameras on the garage and I'd highly recommend it if you are at all worried.  Also, just make sure all your windows and doors are properly secured with good locks.

Lastly, I'd just make sure you make friends with all your neighbors right away.  Also, get the app "NextDoor" a lot of neighbors are on there and are in constant communication about what's going on in the Chicago neighborhoods.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Crystal Smith
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Chicago, IL
ModeratorReplied Oct 26 2021, 04:59
Originally posted by @Account Closed:

I’m about to close on a multi family in west Humboldt park. 2 units with an unfinished basement (plan is to turn the basement into a unit)

I'm on an FHA loan so I must live in one of the units for 1 year. But the thing is, the area is not… the friendliest/safest. What are some safety measures and precautions I can take? I will be putting up security cameras around the building and setting up an alarm for my unit.

But is putting a security camera on the garage to view the alley okay as well? Because if it’s fine, I’m doing it. 

What are some other precautions I can take? Any thoughts and experiences on west Humboldt ? I asked my girl friend to room with me but she’s nervous about the area as well. I really do think people will most likely leave me alone if I install cameras. But I can’t help to still be fearful. 

The reason I’m getting this property is because I see value in the following years and it’s a beautiful building. Everything about it is great except the area (for now) 

Security cameras to check the alley is fine. If you're able to consider putting up a fence/gate around the property.  If you don't have a garage but space to install one consider budgeting for a garage.  Regarding Humboldt Park- You're right; your investment will eventually pay off. 

The Smith Group Logo

User Stats

Votes
Jonathan Klemm
Pro Member
  • Contractor
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Contractor
  • Chicago, IL
ModeratorReplied Oct 26 2021, 05:15

@Account Closed - You gotta make friends lol it is definitely the safest bet!  

But honestly, even when we go into a rougher neighborhood to walk a property we always look to wave to neighbors or what not to show we are of no harm and just trying to improve the neighborhood.

User Stats

Votes
Eudith Vacio
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Chicago & NWI
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Chicago & NWI
Replied Oct 28 2021, 11:21

@Account Closed - don't forget to always have pepper spray in handy and have those karate moves ready :) just saying! lol