Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Foreclosures
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Ben Boru
Votes |
Negotiating the bank down?...

Ben Boru
Posted

Here is a mortgage statement from a homeowner that is being foreclosed on. He wants to sell to me. Can I negotiate some of the interest and late fees down from the bank? And what is the best way to approach that conversation? Thank you for any help!

If anyone knows the best way to get the bank to postpone the auction that is also helpful. But even if I can't close until after the auction they are still within that 6 month period so my purchase would take precedence correct?

User Stats

Votes
Wayne Brooks#1 Foreclosures Contributor
  • Real Estate Professional
  • West Palm Beach, FL
Votes |
  • Real Estate Professional
  • West Palm Beach, FL
Replied

No, the bank will not negotiate unless you go thru a short sale, which wouldn’t be approved if there is equity.  What 6 month period, redemption period? Maybe, if you’re paying cash and you understand the requirements/process.

User Stats

Votes
Theresa Harris
Pro Member
#2 General Real Estate Investing Contributor
Votes |
Pro Member
#2 General Real Estate Investing Contributor
Replied

Have the homeowner talk to the bank and ask if there is a way he can sell his property to pay them back.

Hemlane logo
Hemlane
|
Sponsored
The future of property management is here! Automate rent, repairs, and listings & get 70% more free time back in your life!

User Stats

Votes
Minna Reid
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Jacksonville FL & Middletown CT
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
Replied

Foreclosure process is very state specific. What state is it? 

What's the home worth?

No, they wont eliminate their fees and interest, but if the homes debts exceed its value you may pursue a short sale. If its in process they may move that fc date for you. When is the fc date?

User Stats

Votes
Ben Boru
Votes |
Replied
Quote from @Minna Reid:

What's the home worth?

No, they wont eliminate their fees and interest, but if the homes debts exceed its value you may pursue a short sale. If its in process they may move that fc date for you. When is the fc date?

Michigan. Auction in a couple weeks. It's close to short sale territory. Homeowner is ready to work I'm going to try to have them push that date back tomorrow. 

User Stats

Votes
Randall Alan
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Lakeland, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Lakeland, FL
Replied
Quote from @Ben Boru:
Quote from @Minna Reid:

What's the home worth?

Michigan. Auction in a couple weeks. It's close to short sale territory. Homeowner is ready to work I'm going to try to have them push that date back tomorrow. 

The lender will recover all their interest and expenses at the auction if the property sells.  (There is no reason for them to negotiate.)  Otherwise they will get possession of the property if it doesn’t sell to a third party.  

I would think the only way to get the property is to pay off all expenses owed before the auction… but only the owner of the property could do that I would think.  Maybe make a side agreement to front that money and cut him in on some cash. Would definitely use a lawyer to draw something up.     I doubt you will get far with calling the lender. It is likely they won’t even talk to you due to confidentiality reasons. 

Best of luck!

Randy

User Stats

Votes
Minna Reid
  • Real Estate Broker
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
Replied

I don't know the MI foreclosure process just CT and FL, but if its at all similar, if you have the property under contract and workout package submitted to the lender, you may be able to get them to postpone the date. 

Get the owner under contract, subject to short sale approval. Then what you need to do is get the owner to give you third party authorization on the account and submit it. Then call the lenders loss mit division (may be called something similar - they will usually automatically route you there based on the accounts default status). DO NOT TALK TO COLLECTIONS AS THEY WILL STEER YOU WRONG. Make sure its loss mit. Tell them you need to do a short sale. They will email you a package or tell you what docs to submit. 

Get these docs in ASAP and start following up. Good chance they move the date to give you time to work it out. FYI - you will likely need a Realtor as there is a 99% chance the lender will want to see the property was listed. 

Sounds like your first short. Start there now. Then I highly recommend you get help from someone who has done short sales, or at the very least ask lots and lots of questions here as you will need help. A few weeks is not a long time, but its possible. I've done it multiple times. You just have to be on top of it and know what you are doing. You won't get the sale closed within a few weeks as short sales take a few months, but if he's qualified, and you stay on top of things, you will likely get enough extensions to see this thing through. Good luck!

User Stats

Votes
Marty Boardman
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Investor and Instructor
  • Gilbert, AZ
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Gilbert, AZ
Replied
Quote from @Ben Boru:
Quote from @Minna Reid:

What's the home worth?

A couple of weeks is more than enough time to get the payoff and/or reinstatement, get a title policy and close the deal before the auction.

And as others have stated, NO the bank will not negotiate late penalties/interest.

User Stats

Votes
Ben Boru
Votes |
Replied
Quote from @Marty Boardman:
Quote from @Ben Boru:
Quote from @Minna Reid:

What's the home worth?

A couple of weeks is more than enough time to get the payoff and/or reinstatement, get a title policy and close the deal before the auction.

And as others have stated, NO the bank will not negotiate late penalties/interest.
Deed is still in his dads name. Probate attorney I used for my mother is calling me at 3pm. 😬 Homeowner wasn't cooperative but now is finally fully on board. 

User Stats

Votes
Randall Alan
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Lakeland, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Lakeland, FL
Replied
Quote from @Ben Boru:
Quote from @Ben Boru:
Quote from @Minna Reid:

What's the home worth?

Deed is still in his dads name. Probate attorney I used for my mother is calling me at 3pm. 😬 Homeowner wasn't cooperative but now is finally fully on board. 

That’s not good, You are not going to be able to do ANYTHING with that until it goes through probate.  The family technically doesn’t own the property now… the estate does - which has to be administered through the courts.  The family, through the lawyer, could possibly catch up the overdue payments to stave off the foreclosure, but  otherwise probate is likely going to come first before anything else.  

Randy 

User Stats

Votes
Ben Boru
Votes |
Replied
Quote from @Randall Alan:
Quote from @Ben Boru:
Quote from @Ben Boru:
Quote from @Minna Reid:

What's the home worth?

That’s not good, You are not going to be able to do ANYTHING with that until it goes through probate.  The family technically doesn’t own the property now… the estate does - which has to be administered through the courts.  The family, through the lawyer, could possibly catch up the overdue payments to stave off the foreclosure, but  otherwise probate is likely going to come first before anything else.  

Randy 

I have a probate attorney calling me in an hour. I'm thinking the executor, the son, can sign a quit deed and get it into his name. We will see. Dad has been dead for 10 years. 

User Stats

Votes
Randall Alan
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Lakeland, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Lakeland, FL
Replied
Quote from @Ben Boru:
Quote from @Ben Boru:
Quote from @Ben Boru:
Quote from @Minna Reid:

What's the home worth?

Randy 

I have a probate attorney calling me in an hour. I'm thinking the executor, the son, can sign a quit deed and get it into his name. We will see. Dad has been dead for 10 years. 

If the estate has been probated, yes.  If the estate hasn't been through probate the son has no rights to the property.  You have to initiate probate and get letters of administration to be able to act on the affairs of the decedent.  "Executor" gets thrown around loosely.  It will come down to whether the estate was ACTUALLY probated.  If not, you are going to be stuck.  Given the value of any property these days, it will almost certainly have to be formally probated.  Takes thousands of dollars, and months of time.  Probably a minimum of 3-6 months.  The last one I was involved with took 2 years... it was a big estate.  But it takes 2 months where I live just to get on the docket of a probate judge.

Wish you the best!

Randy

User Stats

Votes
Ben Boru
Votes |
Replied
Quote from @Ben Boru:
Quote from @Ben Boru:
Quote from @Ben Boru:
Quote from @Minna Reid:

What's the home worth?

Randy 

If the estate has been probated, yes.  If the estate hasn't been through probate the son has no rights to the property.  You have to initiate probate and get letters of administration to be able to act on the affairs of the decedent.  "Executor" gets thrown around loosely.  It will come down to whether the estate was ACTUALLY probated.  If not, you are going to be stuck.  Given the value of any property these days, it will almost certainly have to be formally probated.  Takes thousands of dollars, and months of time.  Probably a minimum of 3-6 months.  The last one I was involved with took 2 years... it was a big estate.  But it takes 2 months where I live just to get on the docket of a probate judge.

Wish you the best!

Randy

How could it not be probated for 10 years? Wouldn't the state automatically do that? Guess we will see
BAM Capital  logo
BAM Capital
|
Sponsored
Your Path to Generational Wealth We offer wealth-building and income-producing real estate opportunities for accredited investors.

User Stats

Votes
Minna Reid
  • Real Estate Broker
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
Replied
Quote from @Ben Boru:
Quote from @Minna Reid:

What's the home worth?

@Marty Boardman I've been working short sales for 15 years. Banks ABSOLUTELY 100% negotiate mortgage debts when property debts exceed value. That's the whole point of a short sale. 

The OP indicated this was short sale territory. So unless someone wants to clear all these debts as they are and pay more than the property is worth, paying off the loan is pointless. Sounds like the OP is unwilling to do that anyway 

Certainly if the paying off all the debts with no discount is an option, they can easily do that and close anytime, however that is not the case per the OP ( Or the impression I got anyway).

The foreclosure is the first problem to solve. Probate can also be handled after. But unless a legal owner can sign a P&S ASAP, this whole deal is going to die. However, even without the P&S, it is worthwhile to get an authorization to talk to the lender to try to buy time with a workout.

User Stats

Votes
Ben Boru
Votes |
Replied
Quote from @Minna Reid:
Quote from @Ben Boru:
Quote from @Minna Reid:

What's the home worth?

@Marty Boardman I've been working short sales for 15 years. Banks ABSOLUTELY 100% negotiate mortgage debts when property debts exceed value. That's the whole point of a short sale. 

The OP indicated this was short sale territory. So unless someone wants to clear all these debts as they are and pay more than the property is worth, paying off the loan is pointless. Sounds like the OP is unwilling to do that anyway 

Certainly if the paying off all the debts with no discount is an option, they can easily do that and close anytime, however that is not the case per the OP ( Or the impression I got anyway).

The foreclosure is the first problem to solve. Probate can also be handled after. But unless a legal owner can sign a P&S ASAP, this whole deal is going to die. However, even without the P&S, it is worthwhile to get an authorization to talk to the lender to try to buy time with a workout.

It would for sure be a short sale if my market wasn't swimming with sharks. But it probably isn't a short sale unfortunately. And houses are so scarce I should probably take it how I can get it and clear 20k if I'm tactful 

User Stats

Votes
Ben Boru
Votes |
Replied

Some people in this this thread are incorrect about probate. But I appreciate everyone's input GREATLY 

User Stats

Votes
JD Martin
Pro Member
  • Rock Star Extraordinaire
  • Northeast, TN
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Rock Star Extraordinaire
  • Northeast, TN
ModeratorReplied
Quote from @Ben Boru:
Quote from @Ben Boru:
Quote from @Ben Boru:
Quote from @Ben Boru:
Quote from @Minna Reid:

What's the home worth?

Randy 

Wish you the best!

Randy

How could it not be probated for 10 years? Wouldn't the state automatically do that? Guess we will see

Depends on the state, but no, not necessarily. I personally know someone here in TN that had an almost identical situation to you. Mother had a note on the property and died, two older adult kids. One of them lived in the house with the mother and just kept paying the mortgage, and the other one (brother) didn't object. Fast forward a few years and the bank found out the mother was dead and called the loan. Daughter and Son had no legal rights to the property until it was probated, so they couldn't even get another loan. They got an attorney, who then worked with the bank and the local courts to get it fast-track probated and a year later after the brother signed a quit-claim for his portion of the house the sister was able to get a loan on the property to pay off the bank and fees and attorney fees. It cost them all a bundle of money. I know the daughter as she was my drummer's wife at the time.

User Stats

Votes
Marty Boardman
Pro Member
  • Gilbert, AZ
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Gilbert, AZ
Replied
Quote from @Minna Reid:
Quote from @Ben Boru:
Quote from @Minna Reid:

What's the home worth?

Yes on a short sale, I know he can do that. But from what I read I thought he was trying to buy it before the auction took place. If this is the case then the bank won't negotiate. From what I'm seeing at auction sales where I buy in Wisconsin, Ohio, Indiana and South Carolina banks often get above what is owed to them.

Also Ben I saw you had to run this through probate. If that's the case then you probably can't get it closed before the auction. But, if the bank is aware you're working through it with the estate they may give you more time. Good luck!