Help naming our roadside motels

20 Replies

Creative minds needed!

We own a handful of road side motels and are thinking about doing a rebrand and naming them all the same. We rent the units by the week or month, so not your typical motel but also not your typical residential rental. We consider them extended stays.

I need a name that could work in any town in case we continue to expand. Thoughts?

here's some good, bad and just plain ugly

No Tell Motel/ Here today Gone tomorrow/ Happy Traveler Inn/ Gamez Hostel/ Roadside Rivera/ The Highway Hotel 

Shepherd's Inn/ The Stables/ The Gables/ Roadside Resort/ Sleepy Hollow Hotel/ The Scarlet Letter Inn/ Beds-A- Plenty

The Quiet Place/ Stop and Stay/ Manor House/ Your stay by the Highway/ Rooms to Rent/ Courtyards by Concrete/ Bed Bath and Begone/ The Weekly Renter/ Come and Go/ Lost Souls Inn/ Stop and Stay/ Hideaway hotel/ Wanderer's Retreat/ The Commons

The Sleep Over/ Holiday Hideaway/ The Hotel California / Inn and out/ Sweet Dreams Inn / The Weary Traveler Inn/ Beds on a Budget/ A Room with a View/ The Twilight Hotel/ The Bunk House/ Peyton's Place/ The Field of Dreams

Hope something here works for you. 

@Kimberly Gamez hard to top the previous post but if you’re still looking for ideas what immediately jumps to mind is something from The Simpsons like Rancho Relaxo, Snuggler’s Inn or the Sleep-Eazy Motel (make sure the bulbs in the P on your sign are always burned out). If you’re thinking of growing the business/franchising and catering to irony-loving millennials then you should definitely make it sound like a tech startup/ a sound a baby would make such as Stayio, Staysy, Linger-Longer, Homeasy, Homeegy, Homeonus, Motelio, etc… Or you could do something more Tom Robbins/ Another Roadside Attraction-esque to grab attention/ free publicity and toss in a combination hot dog stand/zoo into this concept and call it "Captain Kendrick's Memorial Hot Dog Wildlife Preserve Motel”. I’d stay there for sure.

Ha! I love this reply. You actually have some really great ones in there and a couple that just made me laugh! Thanks Steve! 

Originally posted by @Steve K. :

@Kimberly Gamez hard to top the previous post but if you’re still looking for ideas what immediately jumps to mind is something from The Simpsons like Rancho Relaxo, Snuggler’s Inn or the Sleep-Eazy Motel (make sure the bulbs in the P on your sign are always burned out). If you’re thinking of growing the business/franchising and catering to irony-loving millennials then you should definitely make it sound like a tech startup/ a sound a baby would make such as Stayio, Staysy, Linger-Longer, Homeasy, Homeegy, Homeonus, Motelio, etc… Or you could do something more Tom Robbins/ Another Roadside Attraction-esque to grab attention/ free publicity and toss in a combination hot dog stand/zoo into this concept and call it "Captain Kendrick's Memorial Hot Dog Wildlife Preserve Motel”. I’d stay there for sure.

You can do a play on your last name and do Gam-z Inn. Pronounced "Games" and you can offer a bunch of board games in the common room. Or Lavender Inn and have a signature lavender lemonade or something small/fun that is inspired by the name! 

@Kimberly Gamez what a fantastic asset class to be in! I love the concept.  My top pick is the Game-Z in from @Jamie Wilson and the concept of the games in the rooms is fantastic.  

Originally posted by @Matt M. :

@Kimberly Gamez

Rosebud Motel!

*from the show Schitts Creek

is there an opportunity to license that officially from Schitts creek and do like a whole franchise on making them schitts creek themed across the country?  there might be something there!

Originally posted by @Kimberly Gamez :

Creative minds needed!

We own a handful of road side motels and are thinking about doing a rebrand and naming them all the same. We rent the units by the week or month, so not your typical motel but also not your typical residential rental. We consider them extended stays.

I need a name that could work in any town in case we continue to expand. Thoughts?

Hi Kimberly,

-- The Belgian Congo--do an African theme, pics of elephants and lions, etc...

-- Motel Homes-your Home Away from Home.

-- Super Easy.

-- The Long Stay.

-- The Mile High.

-- The Sandwich.

-- Skyliner.

-- The imperail-Rooms and kitchenettes.

-- The Michigan Elegante' long term.

-- The Dupree Cadillac.

-- The Collegian.

-- Go Wolverines rooms and suits.

Good Luck!

I would keep the names as they are for three reasons:

1. You are not in the chain hotel business, so it is not something where travelers will seek out a specific brand.

2. If you have a problem at one hotel or decide to sell one off, you don't want the name linked to others.

3. Having different names allows them to be advertised by name tied to location. 

We have a bunch of old motels in my state that have been converted to weekly or monthly rentals. It is mostly construction workers or transients. Not really the type of people who care what brand they are staying at. Maybe you cater to a different clientele? Where do you advertise them.

Bottom line, make sure the name adds value, instead of doing it for vanity reasons. You could spent a lot of time and money on rebranding, only to gain nothing and box yourself in.