Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Multi-Family and Apartment Investing
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
James Gee
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Saint Louis, MO
Votes |
Multi Family Apartment investing

James Gee
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Saint Louis, MO
Posted Mar 1 2023, 08:04

Hello I am on my road to multi family apartment investing! I am look for brokers and ways to approach brokers in a confident and professional manner as a beginner in the space I have a could duplexes and single family rentals so I’m not a complete beginner but new to the apartment world. Anything would help thanks!

User Stats

Votes
Karl Teshima
  • Investor
  • Maui, HI
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Maui, HI
Replied Apr 14 2023, 06:13

Hey @Alex Olson, Thatd be awesome! Ill DM you!

User Stats

Votes
Ivaylo Tonov
  • Arlington Heights, IL
Votes |
  • Arlington Heights, IL
Replied Apr 14 2023, 07:39

@Joshua Michael Hauman,

Would you be able to send me this PDF, please?

BAM Capital  logo
BAM Capital
|
Sponsored
Your Path to Generational Wealth We offer wealth-building and income-producing real estate opportunities for accredited investors.

User Stats

Votes
Alfath Ahmed
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Replied Apr 14 2023, 07:48
Quote from @James Gee:

Hello I am on my road to multi family apartment investing! I am look for brokers and ways to approach brokers in a confident and professional manner as a beginner in the space I have a could duplexes and single family rentals so I’m not a complete beginner but new to the apartment world. Anything would help thanks!

I would defintiely recommend the Columbus market for seasoned real estate investors for mutli-family investing. I have personally found a lot of my success there. There are areas that I recommend in the Columbus market that I personally invest in like Old North, Old Town East/King Lincoln Bronze Ville, Merion Village, Driving Park, North Linden, Hungarian Village, Bexley, and North Hilltop. These are all great areas that you can buy investment properties in and let your net worth skyrocket.

These are all areas within the Columbus market that is next to an economic base. They are surrounded by economic development which is causing a good increase in population and rent growth.

Let me know if you need information on the Columbus market or just want to simply hop on a call and discuss.

User Stats

Votes
Jimmy Lieu
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Replied Apr 14 2023, 12:56
Quote from @James Gee:

Hey James, I am part of an investment group that focuses on commercial real estate (5+ units) and large development projects! My business partners and I are working on a development project to build 100+ units in New Albany, Ohio right by Intel's new gigafactories. As a local investor and agent here in the Columbus Ohio market, I'd love to introduce you or answer any questions you may have.

User Stats

Votes
Eudith Vacio
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Chicago & NWI
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Chicago & NWI
Replied Apr 16 2023, 14:08

Hey @James Gee - were you able to make any connections? Let us know how your journey is going!

User Stats

Votes
James Gee
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Saint Louis, MO
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Saint Louis, MO
Replied Apr 17 2023, 11:06
Quote from @Eudith Vacio:

Hey @James Gee - were you able to make any connections? Let us know how your journey is going!

Hey Eudith!

So an update on my journey. I have recently decided to sell my residential properties and cashing in my retirement to reposition myself into commercial multi family. With saying that I have met a broker and he is helping with that process of selling my properties and repositioning.

User Stats

Votes
Eudith Vacio
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Chicago & NWI
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Chicago & NWI
Replied Apr 21 2023, 19:29

Hey 👋🏼 @James Gee / that’s amazing to hear 👏🏼 

User Stats

Votes
Replied May 8 2023, 23:08
Quote from @Joshua Michael Hauman:

Hey @James Gee!

I shot you a private message. I have a guide to brokers in pdf form. Its about 20 pages of condensed information on exactly how to contact, present yourself, and speak confidently to brokers. Cost is the time and attention you place into digesting it, happy to share.

hey can i have a copy too please, thank you

User Stats

Votes
Replied May 24 2023, 03:00

Hey @James Gee!

I shot you a private message. I have a guide to brokers in pdf form. Its about 20 pages of condensed information on exactly how to contact, present yourself, and speak confidently to brokers. Cost is the time and attention you place into digesting it, happy to share.

can you share this PDF?

User Stats

Votes
Replied May 24 2023, 06:45
Quote from @Gino Barbaro:

@James Gee

Approach them as you would a residential broker. Understand values in your market, know how to underwrite deals, give them your buy right criteria, and show them that you have a business plan.

Brokers do not want to work with tire kickers. They want to show properties to investors who can close deals. You have closed several deals, and I would create a story why you are transitioning to multifamily.

Google all the multifamily brokers in your market and begin to opt in to their lists.Start looking for their listings, and begin to underwrite them. Once you find one that is close to what you're looking for, schedule a property tour.

Good Luck!!

As a multifamily broker myself, this is great guidance to getting on a broker’s distribution list. 

User Stats

Votes
Joseph Westbrooks
  • New to Real Estate
  • Sacramento, CA
Votes |
  • New to Real Estate
  • Sacramento, CA
Replied May 24 2023, 08:18

Hey @James Gee!

Hey Joshua, I would love a copy of this if you are still sharing? I am literally just starting to get my feet wet in the Northern California market and I am looking for all the information I can get!

User Stats

Votes
Brandon Wong
  • Involved In Real Estate
  • Keller, TX
Votes |
  • Involved In Real Estate
  • Keller, TX
Replied May 24 2023, 08:35

My advice here is that if you don't yet have a deal under your belt I recommend finding and partnering with a seasoned multifamily investor and lean on their experience to help the broker build confidence in you and send you a few deals. 

Brokers get paid on commission only and want to maximize their time, if they don't think you can close they will likely send your their crap deals if any at all because they won't really take you seriously.

This is a team sport so get at least one seasoned person who is willing to bet on your and show you their underwriting process to get your foot in the door and start underwriting deals. 

Baselane logo
Baselane
|
Sponsored
Baselane is the Ultimate All-In-One Banking Platform for REI Built with integrated rent collection & bookkeeping to save time so you can grow your RE business.

User Stats

Votes
Joshua Michael Hauman
  • Investor
  • Cleveland, OH
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Cleveland, OH
Replied May 25 2023, 06:52
Quote from @Joseph Westbrooks:

Hey @James Gee!

Hey Joshua, I would love a copy of this if you are still sharing? I am literally just starting to get my feet wet in the Northern California market and I am looking for all the information I can get!

Yes Joseph, absolutely. I will send you a private message. I have a lot of resources I picked up over the years and glad to give even more recommendations for what has been helpful for me!

User Stats

Votes
Anna Cerda
  • Real Estate Agent
  • New Jersey
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • New Jersey
Replied May 25 2023, 07:34
Quote from @Alfath Ahmed:
Quote from @James Gee:

Hi Alfath,

I would defintiely recommend the Columbus market for seasoned real estate investors for mutli-family investing. I have personally found a lot of my success there. There are areas that I recommend in the Columbus market that I personally invest in like Old North, Old Town East/King Lincoln Bronze Ville, Merion Village, Driving Park, North Linden, Hungarian Village, Bexley, and North Hilltop. These are all great areas that you can buy investment properties in and let your net worth skyrocket.

These are all areas within the Columbus market that is next to an economic base. They are surrounded by economic development which is causing a good increase in population and rent growth.

Let me know if you need information on the Columbus market or just want to simply hop on a call and discuss.

Hi Alfath,

Can you share information on the Columbus market.  I am interested to know more about the growth potential.

Thank you,

Anna

User Stats

Votes
Alfath Ahmed
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Replied May 30 2023, 00:20
Quote from @Anna Cerda:
Quote from @Alfath Ahmed:
Quote from @James Gee:

Hi Alfath,

Hi Alfath,

Can you share information on the Columbus market.  I am interested to know more about the growth potential.

Thank you,

Anna

Hi Anna, I would certainly love to talk with you about the real estate market. I sent you a PM about scheduling a 15-min session to go over market analytics and the best areas to invest. 

Happy investing :)

User Stats

Votes
E. C. "Stony" Stonebraker
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Coral Gables, FL
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Coral Gables, FL
Replied May 30 2023, 06:18
Quote from @James Gee:

James, you should get Beau Beery's book "Multifamily Investors Who Dominate."  Beau is a top USA multifamily broker who covers central and north Florida and his book is the bible, IMHO, for investors.  Just to be clear, it is about developing relationships with brokers, not how to underwrite, invest and operate a property.  Also check out his YouTube channel, "Beau Knows Multifamily" for a lot of good tips.