Building a Duplex - Blueprints?

14 Replies

Does anyone recommend a specific blueprint for a duplex?

I have checked the usual sites but wanted to know if anyone here has any experience with a specific plan.

Thanks in-advance

@Jimmy Moncrief  

some of the best i have seen whereby the space is maximized are from Modular Home builders. Some of the plans I reviewed do have an efficient design to accommodate the mechanicals esp if you decide to go with a crawl space in lieu of an expensive full basement.

If it's a higher end duplex (which I am looking at for older people to downsize into) an architect was our best bet. But until we decide to build the drawings/plans they had on file were not 'free' for the taking. An older builder in our area had built a number of upscale duplexes/in-law homes & they sold quickly, but he has since retired.

What are the dimensions and characteristics of the lot?  Duplex size? How many levels?

@Jimmy Moncrief    Aside from what @Jon Klaus   listed, do you know what will be required in the way of setbacks from the street and sides of property, etc.? Is the lot level? Are there any special considerations (sloping, trees, etc.) that need to be taken into consideration? Are there any views? 

Will the duplex be side by side, over/under, etc. ? I assume side by side, but you never know. Will they be one story, two or ? 

You can try looking on different sites like Plans and others (just google plex plans) 

lot is level.  I'm open to anything really.  The lot is 50 x 100

I don't have any recommendations on blueprints but it may be worth consulting with a local architect.  Also, you want to ensure that the lot is zoned for a duplex otherwise you would likely need a variance/special permit from the city planning commission. 

Hopefully, someone has some recommendations for blueprints because I've been looking at lot that I would like to build a duplex on.  Do you have a preference as to number of bedrooms/bathrooms?  Also, what price range would your rents be in?  Good luck!

@Jimmy Moncrief  Please do let me know if you come across anything.  I am sitting on some vacant land and have been thinking of a duplex/triplex build.

I'm looking into it as well.  Please share what you find out.  A local architect wants $.85/ft but since I am considering 4 of them, that may be worth it. 

Originally posted by @Chris Simmons:

I'm looking into it as well.  Please share what you find out.  A local architect wants $.85/ft but since I am considering 4 of them, that may be worth it. 

$.85/ft is cheap. 

Originally posted by @Jon Klaus:
Originally posted by @Chris Simmons:

$.85/ft is cheap. 

Yup, especially if it's completely custom...

I agree $0.85/ft is cheap for an architect. 

@Jimmy Moncrief  I pay about that for a designer, not a licensed architect.  I go with a designer for cost reasons.  What I give up is a stamp, so I need to follow all the proscriptive building permits.  Trusses come with their own engineering and my truss provider can calculate beams for me when needed.  That is how all the subdivision developers around here do it, so I guess it is good enough for a small fish like me.

Have you nailed down a plan? Im also looking to build a duplex. I cannot decide on a plan! 

I am interested in plans a well, esp for homes between 800 to 1100 sq ft. 

Not trying to bring back an older thread.

But I am also looking for a building plan for a duplex around 900-1200 per unit.

I have found a few and will post the link on here later.

Anyone else having any luck?

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.