• Investor
  • Crystal, MN
Votes |
Tulsa, OK Homeless Handyman

David Moore
  • Investor
  • Crystal, MN
Posted Jul 3 2016, 20:00

I struggled with where to put this, and when I started in market place, it just seemed like the right place.  I own several properties, but I am visiting from our of state.  I was at Riverside Park in Tulsa today when I met a quite nice homeless man named Bill.  What surprised me was that Bill is quite skilled in the type of handyman traits I'm always on the hunt for in the Twin Cities.  Bill explained in detail he knows how to lay linoleum, paint, and do general repairs, the pain in the butt stuff that I always have to handle myself (like repairing screens, replacing door knobs, changing out faucets, cleaning an apartment).  

If you have an apartment or two, or property that needs these type of repairs, Tulsa OK pals, will you consider giving Bill a chance?  You can IM me with any inquiries.  I have his phone number and can send along that to you, with great news at what someone of his skill level is willing to take for compensation.  

Hearing his story, and I'm all sure we've heard stories, is one of a guy who has had some tough breaks, but wants to work, and he has some good skills.  Please consider giving the guy a chance.

User Stats

Votes
Shane Hedeen
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Saint Louis Park, MN
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Saint Louis Park, MN
Replied Jul 5 2016, 08:10

@David Moore, thanks for sharing this. I don't know anyone in that area, but it's awesome to read a post like this! Thanks for sharing, and hopefully you find a way to connect Bill to some work down in Tulsa. 

User Stats

Votes
Neil Schoepp
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Milford, PA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Milford, PA
Replied Jul 5 2016, 09:16

I'll give this a bump. The way I look at it is if @David Moore is attaching his name then it may be worth a shot and a win win win all the way around. It's gotta be worth at least contacting David and hearing the details. Anyone know anyone in Tulsa?

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Michael Tapia
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Tulsa, OK
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Tulsa, OK
Replied Jul 5 2016, 09:30

@David Moore

I recently obtained my real estate license in Tulsa for part-time sales and investing. I work full time and I only own one house in the area but am beginning to look into further property investments in Tulsa. If you want to pass along his information, I may have some simple handyman work in the near future.

Thanks for the post.

User Stats

Votes
Andrea Tapp
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Central, CO
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Central, CO
Replied Jul 6 2016, 05:42

Thanks for the info. I would be happy to get his information. 

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jul 7 2016, 07:26

Investors need to question why a individual with skills does not have a job and a place to live. The answer is usually obvious and the reason is the same reason why it is best to rely on licenced contractors to do your work. He most likely has mental issues and is unreliable.

It is nice to be able to help others but regrettably the reason they often need help is why you can not help them. Been there done that.

If someone truly wants to help him the best thing anyone can do is try to find him a regular job and hope he can hold it down.

User Stats

Votes
David Moore
  • Investor
  • Crystal, MN
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Crystal, MN
Replied Jul 7 2016, 08:39

@Thomas S.

I certainly sympathize with your position.  Who among us hasn't been had by someone holding a sign, or asking for a handout.  I don't rely on licensed contractors to mow lawns, paint, change out door knobs, clean an apartment for obvious reasons.   And yet, that kind of work takes me a ton of time.  In Toronto, the story may be different.  Here is a guy with skills, who needs a break, and I applaud anyone who takes a risk and gives him an opportunity.    It takes risk to invest in our fellow man.  The important thing to remember is 'I could be that guy'.  And Greg, I don't think it is accurate to say the reason they need help is why you cannot help them.  We can help them.   

User Stats

Votes
Jassem A.
  • Investor
  • Pennsylvania
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Pennsylvania
Replied Jul 7 2016, 08:43

@David Moore

You could try and utilize him as a helper while you are working on the properties and if he does well and seems trustworthy enough then you could give him some unsupervised work. If a property is vacant, he may try and start living there without asking first and that could create problems. Chances are that he has drug or alcohol problems.

User Stats

Votes
Stone Teran
  • Investor
  • Cincinnati, OH
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Cincinnati, OH
Replied Jul 7 2016, 08:50
Originally posted by @Thomas S.:

Investors need to question why a individual with skills does not have a job and a place to live. The answer is usually obvious and the reason is the same reason why it is best to rely on licenced contractors to do your work. He most likely has mental issues and is unreliable.

It is nice to be able to help others but regrettably the reason they often need help is why you can not help them. Been there done that.

If someone truly wants to help him the best thing anyone can do is try to find him a regular job and hope he can hold it down.

It depends on what you're willing to pay for.  Most of these guys have "professionalism" issues, such as being lazy and unreliable and some aren't the brightest but they can thrive on the right team.  You get what you pay for and sometimes you need cheap labor.  

User Stats

Votes
Susan Monroe
  • Canton, IL
Votes |
  • Canton, IL
Replied Jul 7 2016, 09:00

Some of the responses in this thread are disturbing! This is a guy who is down on his luck in a depressed market. He wants to do better and is talking to someone who may have use for something he is experienced in doing! Don't assume he is homeless because he has mental issues, assume he's homeless because he doesn't have a place to live. There are many reasons this could be true, starting with the massive number of people applying for jobs in a city the size of Tulsa. If he has an average resume (or none at all), he won't get a second look from potential employers who have hundreds of them to look at. And in Tulsa, there are technical schools that teach what he does, so there is a hearty supply of newly trained younger, stronger choices for an employer. 

I'm airy for going on about this, but it's important to see things for what they ARE,  not what they PROBABLY are. 

Anyone who hires Bill to work for them will likely get one of the most loyal employees they've ever had because they gave him a chance when nobody else would. 

User Stats

Votes
David Moore
  • Investor
  • Crystal, MN
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Crystal, MN
Replied Jul 7 2016, 09:05

@Stone Teran

It's not really about needing cheap labor.  It's really about taking a risk to help someone.  Let's also be careful not to stereotype homeless people as drug addicts, alcoholics, etc, even though some may be in that situation.  There are lawyers, doctors and other professionals who are drug addicts and alcoholics as well.  

User Stats

Votes
Megan Green
  • Real Estate Professional
  • Tulsa, OK
Votes |
  • Real Estate Professional
  • Tulsa, OK
Replied Jul 20 2016, 16:24

Wow...I am new to BP and am incredibly excited about my journey ahead. However, after reading replies to original message, I am disheartened. It's judgements and stereotyping that widens the gap of human nature. We as a people, in love and kindness, should welcome another human being who is seeking work, not a handout. When I need assistance, I will call upon this gentleman
I hope we can get the forum to 'on-topic' discussions
And leave judgement out of here. Thank you for your original post! In a society that feeds on the negative it's wonderful to hear positivity.