• Chicago, IL
Votes |
Looking for Insurance recos for a 4 Unit and 8 Unit in Chicago

Nick L.
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Chicago, IL
Posted Nov 30 2016, 16:17

Hello BP,

I hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving holiday and wish everyone Happy Holidays!

I have two buildings in the Pilsen area of Chicago that I would like to shop insurance for. One is a frame 4 flat and the other one is a brick 7 unit building. My insurance premium was increased significantly a month after we closed on the building. I would like to shop around for new insurance for both buildings. Anyone have any recommendations for brokers or companies they can share?

Regards,

Nick 

User Stats

Votes
Jason Bott
Pro Member
#2 Insurance Contributor
  • Insurance Agent
  • Nationwide
Votes |
Pro Member
#2 Insurance Contributor
  • Insurance Agent
  • Nationwide
Replied Nov 30 2016, 16:34

@Nick L. Based on the buiilding charecteristics above, your best premiums in Chicago market will come from 2 different companies.  Some of the companies only want masonry builings, while others companies have great pricing but do not inure more than 4 units per building.

I am quoting several Chicago investors at this moment and would be happy to share the results with you.  I'll PM you.

User Stats

Votes
Jeff Burdick
  • Investor
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Chicago, IL
Replied Nov 30 2016, 16:45
Originally posted by @Jason Bott:

@Nick L. Based on the buiilding charecteristics above, your best premiums in Chicago market will come from 2 different companies.  Some of the companies only want masonry builings, while others companies have great pricing but do not inure more than 4 units per building.

I am quoting several Chicago investors at this moment and would be happy to share the results with you.  I'll PM you.

I agree with this completely. I own a brick three flat and am in the process of purchasing a frame property and my insurance broker told me the exact same thing.

The issue I have with the brick building is that one of the factors in insuring properties and determining insurance premiums is the replacement cost, which are abnormally high for brick buildings because they're so labor intensive.  

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Jason Bott
Pro Member
#2 Insurance Contributor
  • Insurance Agent
  • Nationwide
Votes |
Pro Member
#2 Insurance Contributor
  • Insurance Agent
  • Nationwide
Replied Nov 30 2016, 16:56

@Jeff Burdick Thanks for backing me up:)  The trick in that situation is to find an insurance company willing to do "Agreed Value" on the market value of the property.  This way, you can get Replacement Cost without insuring your 3 flat for some crazy multiple of the market value. 

User Stats

Votes
Mike B.
  • Developer
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
  • Developer
  • Chicago, IL
Replied Dec 1 2016, 07:10

Got a guy for this. PM sent