Small Apartment Financing

3 Replies

Can someone please help explain guidelines for apartment loans.

I just went under contract for a 6 unit multi fam in Michigan. My plan is to BRRR (buy, rehab, and then finance) this property.

Are their min/max amounts to apartment loans, whats typical LTV, seasoning period, rates (in comparison to sfd investment loan), closing times?

Has anyone used a lender they highly regard?

Thank you

You are in the apartment size that is the hardest to get a loan on. I would suggest calling all your local banks. I would call 50-100 of them if you need). Get them to bring it to committee before ordering appraisal, etc.

@Justin R.

As Todd mentioned, that can be a very competitive lending space as many banks have a surplus of CRE (particularly multifamily) loans relative to the other parts of their portfolio since that is where a bulk of the money has been in the past several years. The best place to look for this type of loan are local banks and credit unions.

I would not say there are min/max $$$ amounts. Anything with 5 units or more will be considered commercial but on loan amounts under roughly $1MM it can be difficult since national banks and government agencies will not want to do a loan that small unless there is a very compelling reason for it.

On LTV - In addition to LTV, commercial lending pays close attention to a DSCR or Debt Service Coverage Ratio. A typical number here is 1.25 (although it can range from 1.15-1.6+). What this means is that for every $100k in mortgage payments you need $125k in NOI to cover that debt. Typically local banks will lend on the LOWER of 75% LTV and 1.25 DSCR. In my neck of the woods almost everything is constrained by DSCR instead of LTV.

Seasoning Periods - Unlike 1-4 unit properties seasoning is not as cut or dry. I have seen refinances happen with as little as 3 months seasoning. What you do need to pay attention to here are prepayment penalties. On commercial loans there is often a penalty for refinancing before the loan is due. Just something to look for as you move forward.

Closing Times - I think 60 days is a good estimate for a conventional loan (ie. not hard money or a bridge loan).

Best of luck and let me know what other questions you have!

Thank you both for sharing your knowledge. Sounds like I have my office time planned out for the next several days, haha.

Cheers

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.