Help analyzing a 5-unit Deal

8 Replies

Hi Everyone, 

I am looking to do my first commercial deal. I currently own residential multifamily and I want to get into commercial due to the scale you can get and Control Value. 

In order for my strategy to work though, I need to be able to secure the correct first deal: Value add 5-Unit under $500k

The goal would be to force appreciation, elevate cap rate, and flip the building to another investor. Profit, 1031 exchange into a larger deal.

The reason for this price is I am shopping on what I can put down for a down-payment WITH a partner. 

With that being said, here's the deal:

Purchase Price: $475,000

Cap Rate: 8.3%

Unit Mix

2/1- $900

1/1- $900

1/1- $875

1/1- $850

1/1- $800

Total: $4325/M  $51,900/Y 

----------------------------------

Maintenance

Insurance: $184.39/M 

Electric: $18

Water: $50

Garbage: $160

Taxes: $464.39

Common Areas: $150

Total: $1,026.64/M  $12,319.68/Y

Total Units: 5

Total Sq Ft. : 3,000

I think the first thing to do is to find out if 8.3 is a reasonable cap rate for the area. Then you do one of two things, lower expenses or raise income.
(267) 520-0454
I do think you have some expenses missing. What about general repairs and maintenance? Vacancy? Capex reserves? You'll need to factor those in as well
(267) 520-0454

@Jason DiClemente  

Yes you are right, I plan on setting aside 5% Vacancy and 5% Repairs and maintenance every month for that. Nothing aside for CapEx as we plan to flip the building in a 5-year holding period.

@Leo Maldonado I'm assuming these numbers you are sharing are the marketing version of the data (provided by seller of broker), correct?

If so, then you really need to update them. Expenses are just around 25% of income? You are being lied to. 

There are tons of other expenses you need to account for. Knowing FL properties, this is probably an old property built in the 60s or earlier. What would you do, if the HVAC goes down? What's the age of the roof? When someone moves out, how do you bring someone new in? What are the costs? I'm assuming you managing yourself?

(919) 434-3132

@Leo Maldonado u need to account for PM, maintenance, vacancy etc in your numbers as Cap rate may be much lower at the current purchase price if you include those numbers. Also CapEx can happen during the 5 years you hold the property.

@Leo Maldonado  do you know how much in $ it cost to run a unit in your market? 

This is something that local lender or broker can share with you. In my market we allow for $3000-$3500 per unit per year.

In your underwriting I would allow for 7% capex 7% for maintenance 7% vacancy, and 10% property management.

Ballpark take off 50% off the NOI as expenses then take off debt service = cashflow.

This is a back of an envelope calculation and not one to go by as finel.

Where is this?

I owned a 6 unit small retail property many years ago and one thing that hurt our cash flow is when a tenant left the space sometimes stayed open for a few months at a time unlike a multi-family.

Option 2 is to purchase and sell as biz condos

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.