Help analyzing a 5-unit Deal

Help analyzing a 5-unit Deal

Leo MaldonadoPro Member
Rental Property Investor · Miami Beach, FL · Member since 2016 · 52 posts · 2 votes

Hi Everyone, 

I am looking to do my first commercial deal. I currently own residential multifamily and I want to get into commercial due to the scale you can get and Control Value. 

In order for my strategy to work though, I need to be able to secure the correct first deal: Value add 5-Unit under $500k

The goal would be to force appreciation, elevate cap rate, and flip the building to another investor. Profit, 1031 exchange into a larger deal.

The reason for this price is I am shopping on what I can put down for a down-payment WITH a partner. 

With that being said, here's the deal:

Purchase Price: $475,000

Cap Rate: 8.3%

Unit Mix

2/1- $900

1/1- $900

1/1- $875

1/1- $850

1/1- $800

Total: $4325/M  $51,900/Y 

----------------------------------

Maintenance

Insurance: $184.39/M 

Electric: $18

Water: $50

Garbage: $160

Taxes: $464.39

Common Areas: $150

Total: $1,026.64/M  $12,319.68/Y

Total Units: 5

Total Sq Ft. : 3,000

0Reply
8 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Morrisville, NC · Member since 2012 · 1k+ posts · 673 votes
8y

@Leo Maldonado I'm assuming these numbers you are sharing are the marketing version of the data (provided by seller of broker), correct?

If so, then you really need to update them. Expenses are just around 25% of income? You are being lied to. 

There are tons of other expenses you need to account for. Knowing FL properties, this is probably an old property built in the 60s or earlier. What would you do, if the HVAC goes down? What's the age of the roof? When someone moves out, how do you bring someone new in? What are the costs? I'm assuming you managing yourself?

See this reply in the discussion

8 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · St. Petersburg, FL · Member since 2017 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    8y
    I think the first thing to do is to find out if 8.3 is a reasonable cap rate for the area. Then you do one of two things, lower expenses or raise income.
  • Rental Property Investor · St. Petersburg, FL · Member since 2017 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    8y
    I do think you have some expenses missing. What about general repairs and maintenance? Vacancy? Capex reserves? You'll need to factor those in as well
  • Leo MaldonadoPro Member
    OP
    Rental Property Investor · Miami Beach, FL · Member since 2016 · 52 posts · 2 votes
    8y

    @Jason D. 

    Yes you are right, I plan on setting aside 5% Vacancy and 5% Repairs and maintenance every month for that. Nothing aside for CapEx as we plan to flip the building in a 5-year holding period.

  • Investor · Morrisville, NC · Member since 2012 · 1k+ posts · 673 votes
    8y

    @Leo Maldonado I'm assuming these numbers you are sharing are the marketing version of the data (provided by seller of broker), correct?

    If so, then you really need to update them. Expenses are just around 25% of income? You are being lied to. 

    There are tons of other expenses you need to account for. Knowing FL properties, this is probably an old property built in the 60s or earlier. What would you do, if the HVAC goes down? What's the age of the roof? When someone moves out, how do you bring someone new in? What are the costs? I'm assuming you managing yourself?

  • Rental Property Investor · Concord, CA · Member since 2016 · 499 posts · 219 votes
    8y
    Leo Maldonado u need to account for PM, maintenance, vacancy etc in your numbers as Cap rate may be much lower at the current purchase price if you include those numbers. Also CapEx can happen during the 5 years you hold the property.
  • Hadar OrkibiPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · USA / NZ · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 812 votes
    8y

    @Leo Maldonado  do you know how much in $ it cost to run a unit in your market? 

    This is something that local lender or broker can share with you. In my market we allow for $3000-$3500 per unit per year.

    In your underwriting I would allow for 7% capex 7% for maintenance 7% vacancy, and 10% property management.

    Ballpark take off 50% off the NOI as expenses then take off debt service = cashflow.

    This is a back of an envelope calculation and not one to go by as finel.

  • Investor · Boston, MA · Member since 2014 · 232 posts · 165 votes
    8y

    Where is this?

  • Methuen, MA · Member since 2018 · 26 posts · 14 votes
    8y

    I owned a 6 unit small retail property many years ago and one thing that hurt our cash flow is when a tenant left the space sometimes stayed open for a few months at a time unlike a multi-family.

    Option 2 is to purchase and sell as biz condos

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.