Skip to content
Land & New Construction

User Stats

Votes
Russell Holmes
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Apopka, FL
Votes |
Anyone building new construction with tilt-wall?

Russell Holmes
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Apopka, FL
Posted Nov 2 2018, 16:59
This is basically an information gathering post, some things I've been turning over in my head. I've got a few clients considering new construction and I've connected with an architect/builder firm so I have a good feeling for the general process of site analysis, conceptual design plans, and final complete construction docs. However, I'm curious with all of the tech advances in recent times and ever changing code, has anyone found benefit to thinking outside of concrete block and wood frame? Concrete block is in demand here in FL for good reason. I've looked into ICF (insulated concrete forms) and believe it is a premium method that builds a "better" stronger and more insulated house, but at a higher cost. For my own house that may be great, but it's basically over-building for an investment. The area I live in is booming with residential, commercial, and light industrial growth. I'm starting to see lots of modern "California style" new construction residential: large uninterrupted vertical planes, crisp clean geometric design, single plane roofs as opposed to hip/gable, basic hard sharp lines, smooth stucco, etc. Not that all new builds are that way, but some large builders have added modern designs and smaller builders are in-filling with them. In the meantime, I've watched a couple 8-10k sqft warehouse spaces errected with tilt wall construction. Rather than basic boxes, they added some accent pieces that create architectural appeal, overhangs, and accent walls when painted to contrast, all made out of the poured tilt wall thickness and erected in the same manner. I've researched enough to realize the biggest hold up on residential is ensuring there is a large enough slab to pour the walls on, or if not that casting beds of thin concrete must fit around the perimeter of the build site to cast and tilt in rather than out (wasted expense I'm sure). I doubt it would be possible to build a small house 100% with tilt wall, but it seems an efficiently designed plan could be made to build the largest walls as tilt wall and stitch together with either block or formed concrete. I've found a builder or two in other states that say they do it, but has anyone here looked into it? I'm sure the architecture firm I've connected with could tell me what it costs, but I'm more so looking for personal experience. Thanks all!
  • Real Estate Agent Florida (#SL3406148)

Backbone Brokerage & Management Logo

Loading replies...