Housing market trends in New Jersey and New York

3 Replies

Good Evening fellow BP's

After doing some considerable research I have discovered to get into the New York City Housing Market is very hard to do as ether a Real Estate Agent or an investor. Is this a normal trend or do I have to do some more research?

Ralph Soles tough question to answer because it is kind of vague. What is your intentions, what are you looking to do? You can become a realtor fairly easily, 70 hour coarse and pass a few tests. If you are looking to be a top agent that will take some time, I suggest reading Gary kellers "Millionaire real estate agent" to get a good perspective of what it takes to produce.

Investing will take time in most places, the simple answer is; if it were easy everyone would be doing it. But in this case in a sense everyone is investing (or trying to) and the ones that do well with it stay the coarse and learn from mistakes and build on success.

After talking to some of the Real Agent in the area, I found out that even that they have short sells sometimes for multi-family property, but they don't have handyman special property. Most of the agents thought I was crazy when I ask for property on the MLS that was dilapidated or great deal property to buy. To me it sounded something like I would hear on BP pod that I listen to all the time. Any suggestions..

@Ralph Soles I respectfully disagree with your colleagues who are telling you otherwise. We live in the most densely populated area in the country. If you can't find "handyman specials" on the MLS you're not talking to the right agent. The exist probably by the thousands in the entire NYC metropolitan area. If your focus is very myopic and you're sticking to Brooklyn, a "handyman special" could cost a million. All depends upon the neighborhood.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Get the Ultimate Beginner's Guide