Votes
Adam Amero
  • Niantic, CT
Votes |
Direct mail

Adam Amero
  • Niantic, CT
Posted May 7 2015, 16:44

Hey everyone, I'm getting ready to send out my first direct mail. I have a list of 20 vacant property owners I'd like to mail. Im planning to send out actual letters, me and my brother have bad handwriting so we're trying to type up the letters. As of now I think it looks kind of stupid, it's going to be a full sheet of paper with only a few lines telling them we're interested in buying their property and our contact information. 

Does anyone have any advice on setting out direct mails like this without using a company? Any advice or suggestions are appreciated

User Stats

Votes
Bara Nwokoma
  • Wholesaler
  • Dallas, TX
Votes |
  • Wholesaler
  • Dallas, TX
Replied May 7 2015, 16:51

Are you using yellow letters? 

If you are worried about your handwriting, see if a family member can help you out writing letters. I do not have the best handwriting, so a friend of mine helps me write out letters. Her pay: lunch on me!

The most efficient way is to write out 1 good letter, then copy that letter however many times you want. With a good copier, all pages will look handwritten.

User Stats

Votes
Adam Amero
  • Niantic, CT
Votes |
  • Niantic, CT
Replied May 7 2015, 17:02

I'm just using regular plain white paper, but at some point I will use the yellow letters. I would love to have someone write them for me and copy but each mail will be specific to the home owner, and states the address of their vacant property. Worst case scenario I think I just have to print them out with only a few lines and have most of the paper blank. Although I think I'll have my mom hand write a few on yellow paper and keep tabs on which ones get responses and which ones don't. 

Rental Home Council logo
Rental Home Council
|
Sponsored
Advocating for Single-Family Rental Housing Drive rental policy change. Protect your investments with a National Rental Home Council membership.

User Stats

Votes
AK Fowler
  • Investor
  • Royersford, PA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Royersford, PA
Replied May 7 2015, 19:18

Adam Amero

I just sent my first yellow letter 2 days ago. I used MS Word and fonts. Kept it very simple and printed and mailed 50 letters.

You can also go to www.yellowletters.com and they will write and Mail letters. You just need to provide the list. It's about $0.75 per letter.

Hope this helps.

Account Closed
  • Houston, TX
Votes |
  • Houston, TX
Replied May 7 2015, 19:59

Comes down to time vs money.

You could use one template and use a good copy machine over yellow pages.  Not sure if ink costs would turn out to be more expensive.

Iv'e also heard of people paying their kids to do it.  They're willing to take a few cents per page.

User Stats

Votes
Zach Mitchell
  • Investor
  • Orlando, FL
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Orlando, FL
Replied May 7 2015, 20:33

If you're only writing 20 letters you have a very specific target market. To increase the response potential I would suggest you personalize each one so that it truly feels like it was sent only to them, which is partially true. I just sent 462 letters to absentee owners with equity on Monday and I have received 4 calls, under 1%. Great leads but a small response rate. If you have the same response rate you will be about 1/5 of the way to your first call.

User Stats

Votes
Adam Amero
  • Niantic, CT
Votes |
  • Niantic, CT
Replied May 8 2015, 01:48

I was planning to write in it that I am buying properties in the area, and I'm interested in theirs. Does that lower the chances of getting responses, or increase the chances that the calls I do get will be motivated sellers? 

I know it's a numbers game, but for now I only have these 20 absentees so instead of waiting im going to send these out while I keep looking for more. If they don't respond they will get another letter in a few months.

@AK Fowler did you have the same problem with having with having a full sheet of blank paper and only a few lines, or did you write it in more of a template form?

User Stats

Votes
AK Fowler
  • Investor
  • Royersford, PA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Royersford, PA
Replied May 8 2015, 12:56

I actually used Microsoft Word to type out a letter with a hand writing font.   I then created the blue & black lines to mimic notebook paper. I used a mail merge to bring in the names & addresses & printed it out on canary yellow paper which I bought at staples.  I then put the letters in red invitation envelopes that I also bought at staples.  I did hand address the envelopes though.

In other words, I sort of cheated.  I would be glad to email the letter to you; so that you can cheat too, if you would like a copy.  Just let me know.

Account Closed
  • Investor
  • Houston, TX
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Houston, TX
Replied May 22 2015, 11:47

@AK Fowler

Hi Amy - If you dont mind sharing, can you be so kind and send me a copy if your letter? I am interested in how you mimic the notebook paper. Thank you so much in-advance! :)

User Stats

Votes
AK Fowler
  • Investor
  • Royersford, PA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Royersford, PA
Replied May 22 2015, 11:55

Account Closed what is your email?  I will gladly send it to you :)

Originally posted by @Account Closed:

@AK Fowler

Hi Amy - If you dont mind sharing, can you be so kind and send me a copy if your letter? I am interested in how you mimic the notebook paper. Thank you so much in-advance! :)

User Stats

Votes
Donald Capwell
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Mesa, AZ
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Mesa, AZ
Replied Oct 27 2015, 11:23

@Adam Amero - it's been a few months since you started this... Curious how your first mailing went, and whether you did any follow up.  I just sent my first mailing to a dozen vacants that I found driving for dollars (and cross referenced to tax documents for current owner mailing addresses).

Considering the numbers, I am not holding out for much response (but wouldnt that be nice), but I'm looking for success stories with follow ups... And suggested approaches and timelines.

Thanks

Direct mail, vacant property, wholesale, fix and flip

User Stats

Votes
Steven McAdoo
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Jacksonville, FL
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Jacksonville, FL
Replied Apr 6 2016, 19:45

@AK Fowler

Hi Amy, 

I know it's been almost a year, but I would be interested to see the letter too if you still have a copy. I hope your mailings have been going well!