Affect of China's economic slowdown on Chinese's buyers in US

1 Reply

There are some areas which have had a large inflow of Chinese buyers over the last few years. I am trying to wrap my head around different scenarios of how this factor changes due to China's economic slowdown.

The loss of wealth mean that less Chinese buyers will have the funds available.  Will this lead to a slowdown of R.E. purchases here in the US?

Will the manipulative practices the govt is putting on stock selling cause more people to cash out and move fund to the US?  Or will the restrictions work, forcing money to stay?

I am sure there are other major factors/scenarios that I am missing.  Anyhow any feedback on this issue would be appreciated.

If anyone works with Chinese buyers, it would be great to hear what you seeing "in the trenches".

Had a similar discussion here.

I've already heard that there has been some immediate gut reaction of some Chinese investors pulling funds from projects because of lack of liquidity.  Long term, who knows.

In my eyes, the Chinese government is not terribly impressive at keeping money in the country. There are already plenty of people who circumvent the annual limit.  Even if they crackdown harder, I'd be surprised if China could effectively enforce this type of policy.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.