• Sierra Madre, CA
Votes |
need some creative financing help?

Scott Winnie
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Sierra Madre, CA
Posted Sep 1 2015, 10:43

Hello everyone,

I am a brand new investor and I have been in the real estate business for just about five months.  I am looking to buy my first few properties.  I have lived in southern California for the past six years, and before that I spent the last twenty years in Kansas City. I have been looking at turnkey properties for buy/hold in the KC area since I am very familiar with the areas and it is only what I can afford at this point.  I have a few issues. I need money for the down payments for the properties.  I have the money, but I wanted to ask for advice on what is the best way to attain it.  Here is my financial situation:

- I own my my house with no mortgage.  I paid cash for my $739,000 home and my dad helped me out by giving me $150,000 towards the home in an irrevocable trust for my 3 yr daughter.  The rest was my hard earned savings.  I have been trying to get a heloc, but know one will approve one with a irrevocable trust on the property.  Some banks say I can see if my dad will lift the trust and then I can get a heloc and then he can put the money back in the irrevocable trust.    

- I have about $100,000 in a etf fund in the stock market that yields about 9% and I get a dividend every month which I then use for our property tax payment every year.  I was thinking I could cash it out and just pay the property taxes in whole next year and just use the rest of the money for my investment property.  

- my wife and I both work and I am a new real estate agent and I work all day everyday and then I work at a restaurant five nights a week.  I am just trying to find the best way to make use of my finances so I can start investing.  Our income together - we do not produce a lot of savings yet - as my real estate career is new - and living in Cali is not cheap!

I would just like some advice.  I would ask my dad about lifting the trust but I was burned about 15 years ago when my grandmother gave me about $90,000 to buy a house which I did in Kansas City.  It was my very first house.  Well about 3 years later I had a "good" friend of mine talk me into buying some real estate in Miami, Fl.  It all sounded good, but long story short, he had no skin in the game, and I lost it all.  My dad has yet to look past that.  I have learned so much in five months just by reading, listening, talking, networking, that I am ready to take another leap of faith.  Any advice would be helpful.  

Thank you for your time.

Scott Winnie

Loading replies...