Votes
Gina Williams
  • Upland, CA
Votes |
Lansing and East Lansing Michigan

Gina Williams
  • Upland, CA
Posted May 23 2016, 22:06

I'm planning to buy my first rental property as a buy and hold in Lansing, Michigan. I think this city, as well as East Lansing, will be one of my investing cities. I have researched extensively on these cities. Can anyone tell me more information about Lansing and East Lansing Michigan? Is it a good market to buy and hold and rent? Do jobs seem to be stable? Is anyone currently investing in these cities? Please give me the ins and outs of these two cities. Thanks!

User Stats

Votes
Replied Aug 11 2020, 13:51

Bringing this topic back up to the top. Our Daughter is entering her Freshman year here in a few weeks. We have been talking about getting a duplex or something for her to house hack while in school and assist with tuition. How has Lansing and east Lansing worked out for some of you? we live in Northern California and picking up aproperty or 2 seemed to make sense but would love everyones feedback.  My sisters & their husbands live an hour east and west so we have people close by in an emergency 

User Stats

Votes
Andrew DeBlock
  • Investor
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Columbus, OH
Replied Aug 11 2020, 15:55

I live in Columbus OH but have multiple rentals in EL, MSU grad.  Need to make sure whatever you purchase has an existing rental license through the city.  There are zoning restrictions in certain neighborhoods next to the university and if the property doesn’t have one currently it will be tough to get.  Obviously closer you can buy towards campus, and downtown EL, will ensure lower vacancy and command higher rents.  Feel free to shoot me any questions, would be happy to help .

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Zeke Liston
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Replied Aug 12 2020, 06:49

That's great @Andrew DeBlock, how long ago did you get started? 

User Stats

Votes
Emily B.
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Greater Lansing Area, MI
Votes |
  • Greater Lansing Area, MI
Replied Aug 12 2020, 06:57

@Daniel Martinez we invest in Lansing and surrounding areas. We’re close enough to campus (but not East Lansing) and have rented to both students and faculty with success. The market is still hot so you’ll have to move quickly if you find something you want. My partner is a realtor in the area and I’d be happy to connect you, if you’d like. Send me a pm if so. I saw MSU is waiving the freshman requirement to live on campus due to Covid which makes it a great time to get your daughter into a house hacking situation for her time here. 

User Stats

Votes
Dan Goeckel
Pro Member
  • Portland, MI
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Portland, MI
Replied Aug 28 2020, 05:27

We kinda taught our oldest the ropes and she is working her tail off right now to build capital to invest in one when she goes away to school. She just graduated and was slated to do online Community College for a year to finish her associates then moving on to a traditional school. So currently she she is working a W2 and started her own side “gig” to build up capital to do the same thing. In the next year we are going to start taking her to our units, letting her do some observing of in person interviews and some of the grunt work to understand what it truly takes and what to look for. Then hopefully it is on her own. As Emily said Daniel, it is a ridiculously hot market and boots on the ground would be a huge advantage.

User Stats

Votes
Lewis Easley
  • Lender
Votes |
  • Lender
Replied Aug 15 2021, 14:39

@Emily B. I would love to engage

User Stats

Votes
Lewis Easley
  • Lender
Votes |
  • Lender
Replied Aug 15 2021, 14:41

@Dan Goeckel I would love too connect, young kid in the area!!

User Stats

Votes
Dan Goeckel
Pro Member
  • Portland, MI
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Portland, MI
Replied Sep 10 2021, 13:51

Lewis, sorry to get back so late. You hit me when we had a daughter leaving to go to school and I was out of town for 2 out of the last 4 weeks. If you would like any input or guidance I can try to help you. Hope all is well. Please call me some time and we can chat…message me on this app.

User Stats

Votes
Jose Ontiveros
  • Handyman
  • San Diego, CA
Votes |
  • Handyman
  • San Diego, CA
Replied Feb 8 2022, 20:18
Quote from @Emily B.:

@Daniel Martinez we invest in Lansing and surrounding areas. We’re close enough to campus (but not East Lansing) and have rented to both students and faculty with success. The market is still hot so you’ll have to move quickly if you find something you want. My partner is a realtor in the area and I’d be happy to connect you, if you’d like. Send me a pm if so. I saw MSU is waiving the freshman requirement to live on campus due to Covid which makes it a great time to get your daughter into a house hacking situation for her time here.