Brad Fausett
  • Ohio
Votes |
Rentals and Financials Management Software

Brad Fausett
  • Ohio
Posted Jan 25 2017, 14:14

Hi Team,

I was wondering what / how everyone manages their rentals and money in/ out.   Do you use quickbooks?  Is there another software?  I want to start right now as we are in the process of adding several units.  No money has traded hands yet but we are in contract and I want to make sure i have a clean shot to p&l statements for each property.    Thanks

User Stats

Votes
Taylor Brugna
  • CPA
  • New York, NY
Votes |
  • CPA
  • New York, NY
Replied Jan 25 2017, 15:54

Brad,

I would absolutely recommend quickbooks for most investors. It has the a feature called "class tracking" which allows you to track he income and expenses by each property separately. When the time comes to generate a P&L, you can generate reports by class. Hope this helps.

User Stats

Votes
Brad Fausett
  • Ohio
Votes |
  • Ohio
Replied Jan 25 2017, 20:42

Thanks Taylor.   I did some further research and see how quickbooks can be set up to be used in a rental scenario.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Brad Fausett
  • Ohio
Votes |
  • Ohio
Replied Jan 25 2017, 20:44

I have also been looking at Quicken Rental Property Manager.   I love that it is setup to easily track mortgage info, asset value etc.   I am kind of leaning that way and let quickbooks for my other company.   

User Stats

Votes
Brynn Misener
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Chicago, IL
Replied Feb 2 2017, 04:21

@Brad Fausett I agree with @Taylor Brugna!  Quickbooks is a life saver.

User Stats

Votes
Tomer Ravid
  • Tel Aviv, Israel
Votes |
  • Tel Aviv, Israel
Replied Feb 2 2017, 09:22

@Brynn Misener, @Jonathan Wolter , I have a similar problem with my small portfolio of rentals. I own about 30 rentals all managed by great property managers (I have about 4 different managers). The problem is that every manager uses a different software to manage the properties and I get very multiple versions of reports. 

I use Excel to consolidate my reports, for cash flow analysis, expenses, make sure that I have cash in all the different bank accounts. It's a very cumbersome process. I have never used QuickBooks, could it help me consolidate my reports?

User Stats

Votes
Angela K.
  • Investor
  • Los Gatos, CA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Los Gatos, CA
Replied Feb 2 2017, 12:12

Tomer Ravid quickbooks can definitely help you consolidate your process. You can set it up to import much of the data and ultimately save yourself a lot of time and generate the reports you need.

User Stats

Votes
Tomer Ravid
  • Tel Aviv, Israel
Votes |
  • Tel Aviv, Israel
Replied Feb 2 2017, 13:06

Thanks, @Angela K. ! do you have a tutorial or some guidance for how to do this? 

User Stats

Votes
Brad Fausett
  • Ohio
Votes |
  • Ohio
Replied Feb 3 2017, 14:01

Thanks Everyone.  We ended up choosing quickbooks.  I have found some tutorals online but it seems you have to know that you are searching for to find the tutorial.  When you dont know what it can do you dont know what to search for.   So, as Tomer asked if anyone can point us to a tutorial for landlords that would be amazing.  Maybe one of you will get bored and decided to create one?  Who knows....  Happy Friday everyone!

User Stats

Votes
Gita Faust
Pro Member
  • Accountant
  • Richboro - Philadelphia, PA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Accountant
  • Richboro - Philadelphia, PA
Replied Feb 13 2017, 15:09

There are few out here on the forum from CPA, Accountants, Bookkeepers and QuickBooks Consultant. Use the search feature on the forum.