• Real Estate Broker
  • Raleigh, NC
Votes |
TERMITE in a house under contract!

Peter K.
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Raleigh, NC
Posted Sep 7 2017, 19:27

So just completed a home/termite inspection on a duplex, found termite residues (State of NC defines it as active termite infestation), there is minor noticeable damage on the shoe molding on the floor but no signs of wear and tear on the wall but I nor the inspector cannot tell without ripping apart the wall how bad the infestation is- the seller is willing to pay for a termite extermination but my concern is how much damage these termites have already done on the inside of my walls that I cannot see- is there a termite expert professional I can hire to inspect the home more in depth during my due diligence period or anyway for me to get a peace of mind for this matter? 

User Stats

Votes
Will Barnard
Pro Member
  • Developer
  • Santa Clarita, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Developer
  • Santa Clarita, CA
ModeratorReplied Sep 7 2017, 19:30

The termite inspector IS the expert and his report should identify the problem, the remediation options and the price.

User Stats

Votes
Russell Brazil
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Washington, D.C.
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Washington, D.C.
ModeratorReplied Sep 7 2017, 19:30

In the midatlantic, probably 50% or more of homes that have yards will have some level of termite damage. If it is that concerning, you might never end up buying a home.

District Invest Group Logo
BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Dan Naumowicz
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Elk Grove Village, IL
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Elk Grove Village, IL
Replied Sep 7 2017, 19:56

I have dealt with a termites swarming in our Clearwater, FL property a month after a new tenant moved in. It is really not a deal breaker. 

Termites are common in the South and there is nothing you can do but fumigate. Our cost was around $1100 for a 1800sq ft property. Our tenants were great about it and they took a short vacation to a nearby hotel and we had the house tented and fumigated in 3 days flat.

In your case since its a duplex you need to get both units done, otherwise whats the point?  You need to talk to the other owner and agree to a solution.

Dan

User Stats

Votes
Stephan K.
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Clearwater, FL
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Clearwater, FL
Replied Sep 8 2017, 00:59

We have dealt with termites on many properties. Treating the termites is not a big problem. We have made better success with tentless treatments.

However, you need to determine the actual damage. On some houses we have spent a lot of money replacing damaged wood etc.

User Stats

Votes
Peter K.
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Raleigh, NC
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Raleigh, NC
Replied Sep 10 2017, 17:56

@Stephan K. How do I go about determining the actual damage? Would a general contractor be able to determine the damage by tearing down the walls? etc? 

User Stats

Votes
Will Barnard
Pro Member
  • Developer
  • Santa Clarita, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Developer
  • Santa Clarita, CA
ModeratorReplied Sep 13 2017, 08:10
Originally posted by @Peter K.:

@Stephan K. How do I go about determining the actual damage? Would a general contractor be able to determine the damage by tearing down the walls? etc? 

It is the job of the termite inspector to identify the damage and recommend the appropriate treatment and repairs. They should provide a bid for the work to be performed. Typically, I have the termite company do any chemical treatments and I have my guys repair any framing, etc as I can do it cheaper than their bids.

User Stats

Votes
Colleen F.
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Narragansett, RI
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Narragansett, RI
Replied Sep 13 2017, 08:46
The termite inspector should do the evaluation. There are a number of exposed areas they can look at ( attics and floor joists). They can't see everything but they should be able to give you an estimation of what is the potential extent of damage. A contractor would give a cost estimate to repair the damage. We got contractor estimates on the damaged beams and joists replacement. It depends on where the damage is what you would be looking at for cost but everyone is hedging there bets by saying I can't see what id's in the walls.