Does anyone invest in Duplexes only? Whats the reason behind it?

6 Replies

Just curious if there is anyone out there that ONLY invests in duplexes? like a duplex niche. If so, why do you only choose to invest in them and not others?

I don't ONLY invest in duplexes, but I favor them because I can often get a little more rent from the 2 of them than 1 SFR. They also don't cost as much as 2 SFRs. (Though 2 SFRs would probably get you more rent than 1 duplex, but you paid less, so which is better?)

I don't focus solely on them because they are harder to find.

@Jody Schnurrenberger Thank you for the response! In my state I can legally make it the tenants responsibility to mow the lawn and clear snow/ice in the winter if I am renting Duplex units or SFR's only. And for the reason you stated above, I prefer duplex's over SFR's. I was wondering if anyone else thought like I did and preferred duplex's too. Seems you and I are the only ones lol.

Also, if I am forced to live in the duplex for 1 year (FHA loan) most of the duplexes around me here, have there own fenced yard and some even have a garage. That would make the transition much easier for me since me and my wife have dogs.

I prefer duplexes. I have 4 of them. There seems to be less drama from them than a 4 plex and I have been able to get good rents for duplex units. I plan on only purchasing duplexes here on out.

@Samantha Klein Yes, that is an excellent point too! the quality of tenants seems a little better than that of a 4-plex. Thanks for the response!

Another possible reason... Lower turnover rate with duplexes V.S. 3-plex and 4-plex

Not only duplexes, but duplexes are my favorite. I have six and would like more.  I get more stable tenants and tenants are happier.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here