Chan K.
  • Lowell, MA
Votes |
Property Measurement and Land Marking

Chan K.
  • Lowell, MA
Posted Oct 30 2017, 17:01

Hello BPer,

There is a vacant land adjacent to one of my properties. Apparently, the a builder who is responsible for building the new property on this vacant land gave a hand out to tenants to move their car. They are also advising them that the land will be blocked and cap off.

To be honest, I don't really know where my land ends. So is it something that I should contact the city to have them mark or show me with a small fee? OR I have to call a civil engineer company to do this kind of marking and measurement.

I called the city assessor office today, but they turned me away. The office lady that works at the assessor office sounds so confuse, lol.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Oct 30 2017, 18:14

A survey should be registered with your land registry office. If not you will need to pay for a survey yourself.

User Stats

Votes
Chan K.
  • Lowell, MA
Votes |
  • Lowell, MA
Replied Oct 31 2017, 20:15

@Thomas S. So I was talking to the wrong department (the assessor) earlier. I called a different department later, the planning and development department. The lady asked for the address, and told me to come down and look at the land/plot - she appeared very knowledgeable. She also gave me a surveyor number to call. According to her, the surveyor is more economically sound than a civil engineer company. She said that the surveyor marking will meet my need. I have to stop by her office to look at a plot sometime. 

Thank you for your feedback.

Regards,

-Chan- 

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes