Up Votes - Etiquette and do They Really Matter?

40 Replies

I have been wondering about this topic for a while now. How much do up-votes matter on BiggerPockets? How much do they matter to you? Is there any etiquette when deciding to cast an up-vote or not? 

Ideally, I want to get an up-vote for every post I write. I feel like what I write should be constructive enough and contribute to the BiggerPockets community and thus earn an up-vote. However, this is not always the case due to a variety of reasons. I am not saying that my posts are amazing (they are far from that), I am trying to sort out what constitutes an up-vote for people and if they really matter to the other posters and readers. 

I believe @Mindy Jensen mentioned once that posters with up-votes equal to their number of posts were more likely to be taken seriously and overall more helpful. I tend to agree with this and was wondering what you all thought. 

I think they help with Credability some but that’s about it.

Now please like this comment so I can feel good about myself.

I just spent more time reading this post than I ever did thinking about bites....they just acknowledge someone agrees with you. or you made a valid point.

Hilarious I lol Caleb and gave you a 👍

@Jonathan Pflueger ,  the ratio of votes to posts is  a good way to gauge a person's knowledge and/or helpfulness. Most members have a decent ratio. I do remember one member who had something like 12,000 posts and 900 votes. Obviously that person isn't posting  things that other members  find  valuable. 

One thing you will find is what I call welcome wagon posters.. they mainly just cut and paste a welcome or the exact same post time and again.. mainly touting their business..  those are the ones with  large post counts and small votes ..

then you have the ones that have way more votes than posts and those I think are the pretty sharp folks When EF HUTTON talks folks listen.. 

to me there is no rhyme or reason.. I can make some post that I did not think was all that enlightening and the next thing I know I have 20 votes.

then I can make one that I think is really valuable but might be a little more technical or not really related to what most folks on this site talk about with is rentals and nothing.. :) 

Used to way back I would answer various topics etc.

As time has went on I am very selective on what I respond to but I am much more focused these days. When someone posts it stays on here so one time I was in an eviction forum responding about the process and another about Veteran rentals.

I have probably gotten hundreds of calls over the years for that and I had to explain I am not focused on that.

So really I mainly post about commercial real estate as that is my daily life. Some people have leap frogged total posts past me but I focus on quality of each post. I come on here between deals to read and post almost like someone would drink coffee it's a hobby. I do get good business from it.

Most investors on the site are residential and the commercial investors tend to stay more in the back ground. It's easy to come on a site and say you have 10k,30k to invest and have an open discussion about it. The larger investors investing millions tend to read in the back ground and then contact me privately on BP to talk about investing. Sometimes you will see a forum post investing large money but not often.

I think posting long term to post just to get post count up makes no sense. You have to have quality. If someone has limited knowledge then read,read,read to eventually start sharing and discussing. 

I have had people before search out a keyword for commercial in Google and BP forum posts shows up on page one. They click the link and it brings them to Bigger Pockets for the first time. The see my forum post from the BP link and then read my profile and see my posts over the years. It is a way to instantly see someone's knowledge without that first contact not knowing if they will be what that person is looking for or not. 

I wouldn’t say I’m consistently helpful.
I’m batting 0.825. Mostly cause I just call people out whenever I get the chance to.

Passive readers (the ones who aren’t actually making moves and just reading in between their analysis paralysis) enjoy keyboard warrior battles which keep threads lively. Or maybe that’s just me...

So I snag the occasional up-vote to keep myself and the wrong party’s banter going.

I love when I take the time -- sometimes even do a bit of research -- to create a thoughtful, accurate answer and nobody, not even the poster, votes for it.

I just have fun talking to anybody that will listen.

@Mindy Jensen I think you are spot on. Just like when you get a first impression of someone, the ratio of votes is a first impression. First impressions can be right and they can be wrong but I use them as an initial gauge and then, depending on the post, I look deeper into their profile. The people on BP that I follow and ask advice from the most tend to have better ratios. Just an observation. 

@Jay Hinrichs it is interesting what gets upvoted. I think I tend to upvote posts I understand mainly. Some of the more technical stuff might go right over my head. Keep posting the technical stuff though, the more I am in BP the more I like getting into the technical stuff!!

@Joel Owens this is exactly what I was trying to get at I think. Sometimes I feel like I should be posting more than I do, however I do not always think I am qualified to post. And other times there isn't much more I can add to an already answered thread. I like that you mainly post on what you do in your daily life, that makes a lot of sense to me and I think tends to keep you focused maybe. 

I had never thought about threads/posts showing up on Google and the chain of events that could happen after that! This is awesome. 

@Aaron Hunt I have definitely seen the types of posts you are talking about and I have to admit I have followed a few of them just to watch the drama. Keep at it!

@Tom Gimer this is another one of the reasons I asked the question about post etiquette. Whenever I start a thread I upvote anyone that responds about 75% of the time. As long as they bring something to the table or are being helpful I appreciate that. I don't believe in giving everyone a trophy but I do like letting someone know I appreciate their time. It's not right or wrong either way. 

@Mike M. nothing wrong with that!

Originally posted by @Jonathan Pflueger :

@Mindy Jensen I think you are spot on. Just like when you get a first impression of someone, the ratio of votes is a first impression. First impressions can be right and they can be wrong but I use them as an initial gauge and then, depending on the post, I look deeper into their profile. The people on BP that I follow and ask advice from the most tend to have better ratios. Just an observation. 

@Jay Hinrichs it is interesting what gets upvoted. I think I tend to upvote posts I understand mainly. Some of the more technical stuff might go right over my head. Keep posting the technical stuff though, the more I am in BP the more I like getting into the technical stuff!!

@Joel Owens this is exactly what I was trying to get at I think. Sometimes I feel like I should be posting more than I do, however I do not always think I am qualified to post. And other times there isn't much more I can add to an already answered thread. I like that you mainly post on what you do in your daily life, that makes a lot of sense to me and I think tends to keep you focused maybe. 

I had never thought about threads/posts showing up on Google and the chain of events that could happen after that! This is awesome. 

@Aaron Hunt I have definitely seen the types of posts you are talking about and I have to admit I have followed a few of them just to watch the drama. Keep at it!

@Tom Gimer this is another one of the reasons I asked the question about post etiquette. Whenever I start a thread I upvote anyone that responds about 75% of the time. As long as they bring something to the table or are being helpful I appreciate that. I don't believe in giving everyone a trophy but I do like letting someone know I appreciate their time. It's not right or wrong either way. 

I was first introduced to real estate at about 7 or 8 years old mid 60s  when my dad worked for a land sales company that was selling lots out by Loch Lomond reservoir and the office was at the Trout Farm inn  :)  those are probably still legal lots of record but probably not buildable . you could sell those back in those days.. but the redwood trees on them are probably more valuable than the lots.  so it comes full circle.  

Originally posted by @Jay Hinrichs :

to me there is no rhyme or reason.. I can make some post that I did not think was all that enlightening and the next thing I know I have 20 votes.

then I can make one that I think is really valuable but might be a little more technical or not really related to what most folks on this site talk about with is rentals and nothing.. :) 

Yup, I think my most upvoted comment was a quasi-joke I made about how a tenant who is a vegan with a carrot slicer can kill a landlord just as dead as a tenant who is a gun owner can. 

And then I'll do a super in depth analysis for how to make a mortgage work, potentially helping someone close on that killer deal triplex that otherwise wouldn't have closed, and nada. :P

Yep, sometimes there is no rhyme or reason to what gets vote traction or any traction really, and what doesn't. 

It matters to me just enough to keep me coming back. Nothing worse than adding real value, especially to the OP and being ignored like Tim, Chris and Jay mention.  The deep in the weeds seller financing and lease option threads tend to go that way, so I don't much bother anymore especially if the asker doesn't even bother to have a profile pic. I can be ignored just fine day to day without taking the time to post anything , thank you very much LOL.

When pros take the time to come on here and offer real value, I vote for them in the hopes theyll keep coming back whether it's a niche I use or not. I've seen a lot of solid attorneys,  tax, title and  others just go bye bye. Probably because they felt ignored.

Originally posted by @Steve Vaughan :

Yep, sometimes there is no rhyme or reason to what gets vote traction or any traction really, and what doesn't. 

It matters to me just enough to keep me coming back. Nothing worse than adding real value, especially to the OP and being ignored like Tim and Jay mention.  The deep in the weeds seller financing and lease option threads tend to go that way, so I don't much bother anymore especially if the asker doesn't even bother to have a profile pic. I can be ignored just fine day to day without taking the time to post anything , thank you very much LOL.

plus we don't want to intrude on your nap time.. !!!  

Originally posted by @Jonathan Pflueger:

I was first introduced to real estate at about 7 or 8 years old mid 60s  when my dad worked for a land sales company that was selling lots out by Loch Lomond reservoir and the office was at the Trout Farm inn  :)  those are probably still legal lots of record but probably not buildable . you could sell those back in those days.. but the redwood trees on them are probably more valuable than the lots.  so it comes full circle.  

Now I’m really lost...but that’s nothing new.

plus we don't want to intrude on your nap time.. !!!  

Very true, Jay. I've grown accustomed to checking notifications between naps, so it's ok ;)

Originally posted by @Aaron Hunt :
Originally posted by @Jay Hinrichs:
Originally posted by @Jonathan Pflueger:

Now I’m really lost...but that’s nothing new.

just has to do where the OP lives.. little bit of going back in the tules he will get it. 

One thing you will find is what I call welcome wagon posters.. they mainly just cut and paste a welcome or the exact same post time and again.. mainly touting their business..  those are the ones with  large post counts and small votes ..

then you have the ones that have way more votes than posts and those I think are the pretty sharp folks When EF HUTTON talks folks listen.. 

With time I've started appreciating some of those posts that may not have gotten a lot of attraction initially. Maybe it takes a little time and experience for some things to start sinking in.

I don’t generally think about the upvote button, but sometimes I will search a topic and find an answer from years ago that is very informative or puts me on a path to the answer.

Even though you may not get votes, there may be someone that finds your post super helpful, whether it’s today or a couple years down the road.

I have thought about creating one of those copy and paste posts that provides links to other people asking the question “I live out of state and my mailman’s sister’s brother has a friend whose co-worker said that Texas is the number 1 place to buy property, what is the market like in Texas?” I’m not sure how many votes it would get though.

I've spent time on many different forums as interests change and I agree that the upvotes help to keep the quality vs. quantity of posts in check.  On forums that only track posts and not votes/karma/rep/ whatever they call it I see more of the mega-posters with 30-40,000 posts and folks tend to fall right in line with what that individual says, sometimes suppressing debate. Then if I look back through some of their history many times a lot of the posts are just random jokes/banter or saying "I agree."  I think the way to go is neither post nor vote count visible, or both of them.  Of course there is still the tendency for jokes to get a disproportionate amount of votes as several have alluded to, none of it is perfect. 

Originally posted by @Steve Vaughan :

When pros take the time to come on here and offer real value, I vote for them in the hopes theyll keep coming back whether it's a niche I use or not. I've seen a lot of solid attorneys,  tax, title and  others just go bye bye. Probably because they felt ignored.

This!

By far the most upvoted contribution I ever made was about prostitution and cocaine. I think I got 45 votes on that and then it was censored. Which makes sense in its own strange way.

Social media belongs to writers and I've always been labeled a writer. If you have a voice and something useful to say, people pay attention. Getting that voice takes work, just as learning useful things also takes work.

But if the numbers rather than the names attached to the votes matter all that much to someone, I don't think real estate is going to be a very rewarding field for that person. There are some regular posters here whom I admire greatly. Votes and mentions from them tell me that I'm thinking straight. This is a very rewarding business for me, but it is also very difficult and at times extremely stressful and even alienating from the kind of lives most people lead in our society. It gets lonely doing what others are not and refuse to value. It doesn't matter if the vast majority of people are broke with zero chance of ever changing it thanks to their value system. It's still lonely bucking the flow. I need all the help  and direction I can get from people who have been doing it successfully for decades, as a few people here have.

If I can make some smart people chuckle, though, the day hasn't been totally wasted either.

Somewhat related, but every once in a while, someone upvotes one of my posts, and I get an email about it, which is nice. But why does the email suggest I send this person a colleague request? I am glad you liked my post, but I usually don't think that alone is a good enough reason to connect...

I usually up vote if someone is spot on in their response.  The other reason I upvote is if a post gives me a laugh or to thank someone for responding to me when i have nothing else to say.   I think if something has alot of votes people look at it more. 

I do wish we could vote up threads because some threads should be a go to source. I can't tell you the number of times I see the same question posted and try to remember an awesome thread I once saw that answered that question already.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here