Up Votes - Etiquette and do They Really Matter?

40 Replies

Many of us that have been here awhile try to help and answer peoples questions.  Sometimes our answers are popular but often it is not

Personally, I am not a rah rah guy and do not post success stories and the like which seem to get the most posts.  As with many of us, I have fielded scores and scores of phone calls and have taken time to help those where I can with nothing expected in return

Originally posted by @Tom Gimer :

I love when I take the time -- sometimes even do a bit of research -- to create a thoughtful, accurate answer and nobody, not even the poster, votes for it.

Indeed, Tom. Votes and thank you's are nothing more than common courtesy. This is one reason I don't respond anymore to those who haven't expressed a shred of appreciation to those who took the time to respond, before I might add to their thread, even if I know it would help them.

From @Mindy Jensen

"... the ratio of votes to posts is a good way to gauge a person's knowledge and/or helpfulness."

I agree with you,  Mindy.  In fact, I've been trying hard to meet 100% as a personal goal. Why? I have no idea since I really don't get business from this site. I like to read and learn and I suppose it's my way to contribute.

I know you work for BP but is your opinion policy? If it were truly important, BP wouldn't round posts and votes on the left, which masks the information, and would also post the ratio explicitly. Certainly, there's a way to format this data on the screen?

Years ago, maybe before you were around, even having votes was a topic of controversy on this board. Since BP decided to include votes, I never understood why they don't take more advantage (awards too). Seems we agree it would encourage higher quality posts. Or, and I'm sincere, perhaps its quantity not quality that drives membership and advertising? That is, maybe BP likes the "What he said," and "I agree," posts? 

Other than the joking pandering, notice how many votes this thread has generated? Most businesses learn that appreciation and recognition are stronger motivators than money. I wonder if the equivalent on this board, votes, might be more important than this site realizes.

Jeff S. Private Lender from Los Angeles

I personally don't take votes into consideration much as they aren't a true reflection of your contributions.

You can post incredibly valuable content to help other members and they still may not vote for your post.

This doesn't make your post/insight/information any less useful it just means they didn't click the little button.

There are plenty of people like myself with higher posts than votes because we interact a lot with others on BP.

I can't expect to get a vote every single time I reply to a conversation I'm having with someone in a thread.

I vote on things where the poster took the time to write out a thought out intelligent post.  I don't pay much attention to how many votes are in a thread, except the debates.  I like reading the debates, especially on topics outside my area of expertise.  It let's me learn about something new.  So when it is a topic I am unfamiliar with I pay attention to the votes of each poster so  know which thought process most people agree with 

I don't get many votes due to my focus on risk, and the newbies don't want to hear about the dark side!

I would love to know how many folks on BP have been in real estate more than 10 years.

Check out this interesting chart 

Originally posted by @Will G. :

I don't get many votes due to my focus on risk, and the newbies don't want to hear about the dark side!

I would love to know how many folks on BP have been in real estate more than 10 years.

Check out this interesting chart 

Highly regionalized.. I agree with you in certain markets that don't appreciate the returns are only what you can make on cash flow over a long period of time and you never have to sell or recapture deprecation or have major cap ex either of those will kill your returns back to next to zero.

but you take high appreciating markets and these charts are not accurate at all. its the dead an dying or non appreciating markets that weigh down the US averages.. 

any property bought in say SF or SF peninsulas back in 08 have basically gone up 4X  and or more.. other areas say Detroit or other cities that saw mass movement out of area .. properties peaked in mid 90s and have been going down ever since .. with the exception of the craze to buy SFRs as rentals by out of country or state investors this has propped up values in these areas.. 

@Jonathan Pflueger I agree with you. Sometimes I put a lot of thought and sometimes even do some research to learn myself and do my best to give good input to the question at hand. At times I get knowledge and at times there are just crickets... Either way I will continue to post to try and help in anyway I can as I have gotten tons of help from others here.

@Jonathan Pflueger Honestly, I NEVER look at how many votes my posts get, never have. I do once in awhile have something showing I got an award for X number of people voting a post up, but other than that, I don't know if a post is voted on or not. I try to give good advice, and hope someone finds it has some value. That's what is important to me. I have no clue how things are calculated on BP. I don't know what criteria is factored in for a score, etc. I'm not sure if it's based on the one thread or overall posts.  After you mentioning @Mindy Jensen formula, I see I fall short by half!  So don't take me too seriously. Just kidding. 

The truth is, there are many people on here more experienced in different areas of the market than I am, and even in the little niche that I work in; and I'm always @mentioning them in posts to get their expert opinions, and @Jay Hinrichs and @Joel Owens are two of those I annoy consistently and am grateful for. 

@Jonathan Pflueger My take on up votes is that they do lend a bit of credibility to a persons account or comments made on a given topic, however, Ive read and received sound advice or responses from people with a large number of upvotes and not so sound advice from people with a ton of upvotes and posts. I'm not sure how much they matter, but it is nice to receive them. I'm sure there are many people that appreciate advice and comments that are posted but don't up vote for whatever reason

I think votes would be much more useful if they went both ways. Up votes for posts that are interesting, helpful, or agreeable. Down votes for posts that are aggravating, inaccurate, hateful, or just plain stupid.

But really, I don't pay a whole lot of attention to votes.

Never paid much attention to the votes either way, but now that I know how it works I’ll make sure to give a thumbs up to good posts. I appreciate the time, effort and knowledge you guys share!

@Miguel Dormany I think you have the right attitude. This site has been such an amazing tool for so many people - contributing to the posts is a meaningful way in which we all can give back to the BP community. Up vote or not!

@Karen Margrave I feel like the ratio of posts is only an indicator and in many cases subjective. Definitely not something to take too seriously. 

@Sylvia B. That is a great idea! I wonder if it would change the dynamic of BP at all?

@Jonathan Pflueger , Sometimes it's just fun to make a playful post and the upvotes received are my equivalent of folks laughing with me.  I like @Sylvia B. s idea also but am worried about impact of down votes on my puns as a form of collective groaning.

But being very open an honest here - Upvotes to me means that someone understood and benefitted from what I had to say.  And while I hope that I can always provide value to the forums  it's also really really nice when an upvote results in business.  I think if upvotes are an indication of credibility then that's who I'll looking for as a lender or syndicator, or home inspector etc.

And @Mindy Jensen , don't you worry bout the 12000 to 900 ratio.  You started when upvotes were unfamiliar -  you'll catch up :)

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you