Finding a contact for a house that will be sold due to divorce

6 Replies

I'll post this here since I didn't get any love in the other forum. 

Does anyone know who and how to contact someone in the divorce court system dealing with the future sale of a house? I talked with a seller that wants to sell but both parties on the title could not agree on terms with selling the house. So they are turning the matter over to the court to get it sold.

I am not sure how to go about finding a point of contact since the sellers are not under financial distress so it doesn't show up in the county records for foreclosures or anything. They are also not yet divorced so it wouldn't be in those records either. Any help would be helpful (property in Hillsborough County, FL if anyone has specific knowledge for that area).

Court-ordered sales (unless distress situation calls for using the auction method) are handled like a traditional sale. The property will be listed with a broker at an agreed price in relation to its appraised value. If it doesn’t sell within X days, the price will be reduced on an agreed schedule until sold.

There is no inside game here. Keep an eye on the MLS.

I know this is not the answer you are looking for. But I would see if you can't get another chance to get in front of both sellers (Probably separately). You can save them a bunch of headache by avoiding this going through the court process. Sometimes this works out. Sometimes one of the parties in the divorce simply does not want any direct connection with the other party. Find out what their goal is and help with that. Make selling the property just part of it.

@Rodney Reeves This idea is a dead end. First, very few divorced end up with a court ordered sale of the property. Secondly, there is no person keeping track of these few instances, and there is no list. The only way to find this would be to actually read the court file of every divorce case, looking for one or two a year. Even then, the couple is the one who decided who will list or auction it. 

This would be a huge time suck looking for a few, if any, leads. Also, a bickering couple would be a PITA to work with. 

I’d look for a different segment to go after. 

Okay, we’ll then for this specific divorce case....if the court is actually going to handle the sale, an order to do so Will be in the divorce case file. Likely if the court is going to handle it, it will probably be auctioned. 

In short, go to the courthouse and Read the court file. 

Thank you all for your valuable input and insight! I'll give what @Phil Weiler was saying a shot and see if I can get at least one party to agree to sell a quicker, more hassle-free route. If not, then this will probably just end up on the MLS. Thanks again

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you