Best type of Investment for a starter?

6 Replies

Hello, I am a complete beginner in the Real Estate industry. I have been studying RE really well over the past year. I am 17 years old now and by the time I am 18 early 19 wanna own a investment property. I am just really curious what others or how others would approach to starting a investment portfolio? For example Multi family (4-plex,etc), BRRRR strategy, Single family's. Which investment should I really begin with.

Yes, it can possibly vary with the financial situation. After I graduate and get accepted to university,(UofA or UofC) I wanna apply and wanna work at a local bank. Get work portfolio, build credit etc. Maybe in my early 19s I wanna make my first purchase that can cash flow. If my approval is not enough I wanna Partner and co sign with close by person.

Thank you for listening to my plan. If anybody has great information on what investment I should go with. I would love to hear it thank you so much!

Your best option is typically a four-plex. You can live in one of the units, rent the other three out. It's commonly referred to as "house hacking" and there's a good book on it in the BiggerPockets bookstore by Craig Curelop. I also recommend "Set For Life" by Scott Trench, which covers the basics of sound financial discipline as well as house hacking.

@Nathan G.

Thank you! I appreciate the advice and recommendation on which to go with. I will be living with parents so I won't really house hack is my best investment still a 4 plex if I don't house hack? And eventually grow to even bigger amounts of units?

Thank you Nathan!

Originally posted by @Ata Ziv :

@Nathan G.

Thank you! I appreciate the advice and recommendation on which to go with. I will be living with parents so I won't really house hack is my best investment still a 4 plex if I don't house hack? And eventually grow to even bigger amounts of units?

Thank you Nathan!

You can qualify for an FHA loan with just 3-5% down, but it requires you to occupy the property as the owner. If you don't occupy the property then you'll lose the opportunity to finance with such a small downpayment.

A smaller multi unit is your best bet. Something you can fix up a bit, as well as rent out to pay the mortgage. Push comes to shove, you could get a single family home to fix up and fill it full of roommates. If you are planning on going to college, lots of schools have a rule where you have to live on campus for your first year. You can use that as a opportunity to save up money for your down payment and make some friends you can rent your future place to.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you