User Stats

Votes
Lily Ochoa
Votes |
In need of 55K

Lily Ochoa
Posted May 13 2024, 08:00

Good morning all,

I have a problem I own a coop today I will list for sale asking for 380K right across the hall my neighbor is selling a coop I am interested in for 545K real estate person told me I need 10% which is 55K I don't have it unless I sell coop first! Anyone who can lend me that amount till I sell my coop or is it possible to work something out with seller. 

Thanks,

Lily  

User Stats

Votes
Louisa Davis
  • Investor
  • Arlington, VA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Arlington, VA
Replied May 13 2024, 08:08

A bridge loan might be your best option here. A bank can issue a loan specifically to "bridge" your down payment for your next property before you sell your own property. 

Where are you located? I have a network who might be able to help.

User Stats

Votes
Lily Ochoa
Votes |
Replied May 13 2024, 08:14

Hi, am located in Woodside, NY 11377 today I will be listing my coop for sale but since it's a coop apt it will take a while, but coop am interested is right across my hallway. If you can connect me with someone who can lend me the money.

PropStream logo
PropStream
|
Sponsored
Nationwide property data Use our robust, multi-sourced data to find off-market properties and close your next deal.

User Stats

Votes
Kristine Ann
  • Investor
  • WNY/CNY/Adirondacks, New York State
Votes |
  • Investor
  • WNY/CNY/Adirondacks, New York State
Replied May 13 2024, 08:20

The real estate person doesn't know what down payment you will need. You need to ask your mortgage broker.  You probably need 10% for a down payment plus closing costs which could be another $10-20k.

You can put in an offer contingent on selling your own property.  You schedule the closing for your property first, then close on your new property the next day or even that same day in the afternoon. You move you're stuff into temporary storage and then move it back into your new property. It's a hassle.

User Stats

Votes
Mohammed Rahman
  • Real Estate Broker
  • New York, NY
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • New York, NY
Replied May 13 2024, 09:18

Hi @Lily Ochoa - I'm a real estate broker and investor in NYC, I'm familiar with co-op transactions as well and can give some advice. 

You can definitely work out something with the seller that makes your offer contingent on the sale of your current apartment. 

It's fairly common and not unheard of, please call or text me directly and I'm happy to give some more guidance on it. My number is in the signature of this post, you can also DM me directly on BiggerPockets. 

User Stats

Votes
Jacob Sherman
Pro Member
#1 Land & New Construction Contributor
  • 12 Penns Trail Suite 138 Newtown, PA 18940
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 Land & New Construction Contributor
  • 12 Penns Trail Suite 138 Newtown, PA 18940
Replied May 13 2024, 09:28

bridge loans will be best option for cooperatives