SF Bay Area, CA · Member since 2022 · 17 posts · 6 votes
I bought my home 2 years ago with a 10/1 ARM in the San Francisco Bay Area, Pacifica to be exact, rate for the first 10 years is fixed at 5.875%. Thinking of refinance it to a 30 year fixed just don't wanna take the risk of potentially higher payment after 10 years. LTV less than 60%, credit score 750. Any chance there's lender out there can pull off a refinance loan at a rate under 6%? Thanks in advance
I bought my home 2 years ago with a 10/1 ARM in the San Francisco Bay Area, Pacifica to be exact, rate for the first 10 years is fixed at 5.875%. Thinking of refinance it to a 30 year fixed just don't wanna take the risk of potentially higher payment after 10 years. LTV less than 60%, credit score 750. Any chance there's lender out there can pull off a refinance loan at a rate under 6%? Thanks in advance
personally I would still wait and hold out. you have 8 years until you have to refinance and to get under 6 you may have to pay several points - it is highly unlikely we will see rates significantly higher over the next 2-4 years and potential that they come down slightly, the economy will eventually tank which will drop rates - so I would still hold out a little longer. Also with the LTV you have it should not be a problem to refinance at any time in the future.
Unlikely without paying a ton in points. 30yr FRM is mid to high 6s right now.
As far as I remember, one point can bring down the rate by .25%, and most banks won’t let you buy more than 2 points. Is that the case? Correct me if I’m wrong
Unlikely without paying a ton in points. 30yr FRM is mid to high 6s right now.
As far as I remember, one point can bring down the rate by .25%, and most banks won’t let you buy more than 2 points. Is that the case? Correct me if I’m wrong
The rate reduction per point of buydown is not fixed, nor is it linear. It varies a lot. Typically, buydowns of more than 2 points arent a great idea, but are possible.
You'd be best served by working with your lender to set up a refi file so that it's ready to go if an opportunity arises. This will give you some insight on what to expect as far as costs, breakevens (if any), and market movements. The ten yr has been super volatile the past year, so it's very possible that we get a brief but sharp drop at some point that you can take advantage of.
Also, I wouldnt be in a hurry to refi just to get rid of the ARM. You've got a few more years before it will become a pressing matter. Not much has changed in the last two years since youve gotten it, so the reason you got it in the first place likely still applies.
Unlikely without paying a ton in points. 30yr FRM is mid to high 6s right now.
As far as I remember, one point can bring down the rate by .25%, and most banks won’t let you buy more than 2 points. Is that the case? Correct me if I’m wrong
This is not always the case. Buy downs will depend on the lender's floor rate, LLPAs and, spread. If this is an owner occupied loan, you might achieve this on an FHA and MAYBE a conventional loan if you shorten the loan term to 15 - 10 year loan.
Yeah, youd be looking around 3 pts for 5.875% right now. I agree with the sentiment to not be in a rush for the refi - with the economy facing numerous headwinds, I think there will be opportunities in the future.
I bought my home 2 years ago with a 10/1 ARM in the San Francisco Bay Area, Pacifica to be exact, rate for the first 10 years is fixed at 5.875%. Thinking of refinance it to a 30 year fixed just don't wanna take the risk of potentially higher payment after 10 years. LTV less than 60%, credit score 750. Any chance there's lender out there can pull off a refinance loan at a rate under 6%? Thanks in advance
personally I would still wait and hold out. you have 8 years until you have to refinance and to get under 6 you may have to pay several points - it is highly unlikely we will see rates significantly higher over the next 2-4 years and potential that they come down slightly, the economy will eventually tank which will drop rates - so I would still hold out a little longer. Also with the LTV you have it should not be a problem to refinance at any time in the future.