Skip to content
Private Lending & Conventional Mortgage Advice

User Stats

Votes
Steve Buchanan
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
Conventional to Hard Money Lenders - What's in between?

Steve Buchanan
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Los Angeles, CA
Posted Nov 6 2014, 12:55

On one end of the spectrum you have conventional lenders looking to lend to qualified buyers at low single digit rates for long term loans. These loans generally do not come with construction financing (I say generally because I know there are products such as the FHA 203K that will fund some rehabbing) and don't generally work on distressed properties. They are not a valid funding source for fix and flippers.

On the other end of the spectrum you have hard money lenders who look to fund even unqualified buyers as long as the deal checks out. These loans are short term, get you money quick and will fund much of the acquisition and rehab with very little down but command much higher interest rates and points (in New Jersey I'm being quoted 12%-15% with 3-5 points). They are a very common source of funding for flippers.

My question is what type of lenders fall in between (besides private money!)? 

I currently have a deal in contract for which I have the funds to purchase and rehab myself but I don't want most of my money tied up in one deal. I also don't see a point in borrowing money I already have at 12%-15% plus points. My personal financial situation is sound and I have good credit. Is there a type of lender out there that lends in the mid to high single digits, on a short time frame and lends on construction to qualified buyers with good income and assets to come after as recourse if things went bad?

Loading replies...