• Rockville, MD
Votes |
Looking for a lending advice for primary residence/house hack

Marc M.
  • Contractor
  • Rockville, MD
Posted Jan 19 2016, 19:06

Hey BP,

I'm in a little bit of a pickle and could use some advice.  I have been searching for months for a primary residence for myself, which has turned out to be a challenge due to the competitive market I'm in (Washington DC metro area).  

I've finally found a home I really like, in an area I want to be in, at a listed price within my range, that could turn out to be a perfect house hacking scenario.  The problem is that it's a Homesearch property going to auction this weekend and is a cash only sale.  My contact in hard money doesn't want to do an owner occupancy loan and has cited (though I'm not sure this is the only reason) Dodd Frank as a possible roadblock.  

Since the bank doesn't want to deal with financing, I don't want to bid, win and be unable to close. I'm envisioning a short-term loan for a couple months while basic repairs are conducted, then refinancing into an FHA loan. Any suggestions on how I could make this work? Property needs a master bath and cosmetic updating but is in otherwise pretty good shape.

When initially discussing this with the HML, I suggested dropping interest rates to avoid any conflict with HOEPA/Section 32 requirements, and having a side agreement whereby providing them consulting fees for my blossoming real estate business. Clearly, I'm open to creative solutions.

Any suggestions would be extremely helpful. Unfortunately, with the auction happening this weekend, I'm not left with much time to sort this out.

Loading replies...