What is reasonable interest for loan from family memebers

What is reasonable interest for loan from family memebers

Member since 2019 · 34 posts · 2 votes

I am in need of 50k to close the deal and I need to use them approximately 3-4 months tops. I am thinking of reaching out to my family member to loan this amount. What would be reasonable interest I could give on top of the principal amount at the end.

I am thinking of returning the whole amount along with interest as soon as I refinance the house.

Thanks BP !

0Reply
12 views

Most Popular Reply

Andrew PostellPro Member
Lender · Fort Worth, TX · Member since 2016 · 8k+ posts · 6k+ votes
6y

@Jenna Walker I usually offer my private lenders a choice:

  • 6% if you want monthly payments
  • 8% if you are ok with me paying you all the money at the end

So often times, I have a loan with no payments.  Kind of helps a little bit.  But offering a choice allows them to feel a little more involved too.  Something along those lines would be fine.  Thanks!

See this reply in the discussion

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Andrew PostellPro Member
    Lender · Fort Worth, TX · Member since 2016 · 8k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    6y

    @Jenna Walker I usually offer my private lenders a choice:

    • 6% if you want monthly payments
    • 8% if you are ok with me paying you all the money at the end

    So often times, I have a loan with no payments.  Kind of helps a little bit.  But offering a choice allows them to feel a little more involved too.  Something along those lines would be fine.  Thanks!

  • Member since 2019 · 34 posts · 2 votes
    6y

    @Andrew Postell perfect answer for my question! Thanks a lot! When you do the second option, how long of the term do you use money? 6months, year?

  • Andrew PostellPro Member
    Lender · Fort Worth, TX · Member since 2016 · 8k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    6y

    @Jenna Walker I do make my loans for 12 months but I am certainly looking to refinance out ASAP....now I am buying and holding, so my properties are lower valued in general.  If you are flipping, maybe 24 months might be a good term to use. Hope all of that makes sense.

  • Member since 2019 · 34 posts · 2 votes
    6y

    @Andrew Postell yes it does and I really appreciate your advise. Its buy and hold this time, I hope I get to fund this and win the bidding this time. 🙏🙏🙏Thanks again Andrew!

  • Investor/Accountant/Builder · Meno, OK · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 918 votes
    6y
    When I need quick cash. I pay 10% For any part of a year.
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.