Skip to content
Private Lending & Conventional Mortgage Advice

User Stats

Votes
Hunter Wilburn
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Dayton, Tx
Votes |
Can lenders remove late payments from your credit history?

Hunter Wilburn
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Dayton, Tx
Posted Sep 20 2020, 07:36

I recently went to apply for a loan and was denied due to late payments on a former property I lost in a divorce. Long story short. She quit making payments and refused to sell. Fortunately I learned about short sales and took that road when she abandoned the house being it was pretty much the only option I had. It has since been sold and the lender received the entire debt in full. Is there any advice on having late payments removed from my credit history?

User Stats

Votes
Patricia Steiner
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Hyde Park Tampa, FL
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Hyde Park Tampa, FL
Replied Sep 20 2020, 13:03

No.  The late payment history is factual and is automatically transmitted to the credit bureaus. BUT what you can do is place a letter/statement in your credit bureau report that explains the late payments and why it was due to a "specific event" - not a pattern of payment. Give as much detail as possible without "over explaining - doth protest too much" - and that should help counter the hard hit.

Hope this helps.

User Stats

Votes
Eric Veronica
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Cleveland, OH
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Cleveland, OH
Replied Sep 20 2020, 20:39

If you can prove that the payments were not actually late then you have the ability to formally dispute those late payments with the credit bureaus. Unfortunately, it sounds this may not be the case.  Time is likely your only remedy.  

Vacasa logo
Vacasa
|
Sponsored
We do the work. You get the ROI. We do it all for your vacation rental. All—marketing, pricing, guest requests, housekeeping & more.