Non QM Loans, DSCR Loan or other creative options

Non QM Loans, DSCR Loan or other creative options

Member since 2022 · 5 posts · 3 votes

Hi everyone,
I'm a first time investor looking to purchase a rental property in Upstate New York. I have a specific financial situation and am looking for creative ways to obtain a loan. Any advice or insight is very much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

I started working in March 2020 full time, but after a year started college and work part time. Unfortunately, recently (before the 2 year mark) I've switched jobs (a different profession). I live rent free and obviously have not been a landlord before which means I cannot use rental income to qualify (this rule makes zero sense). I have no debt and a credit score of 750. I'm looking to put down between 30k-40k on a property between 70k-170k. I'm only looking at properties that will have a high cash flow.

Because I work part time but don't have 2 years with the same employer I cannot qualify for a conventional mortgage. Because I live rent free and haven't been a landlord I cannot use the projected monthly rental income to qualify. My part time income while in college is $25,000 and my living expenses are low (dti on $700 mortgage would be 35%). So as I understand it my options would be non QM Loans or DSCR Loan.

Does anyone have other creative loan strategies?

Thanks!

3Reply
21 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Tampa, FL · Member since 2018 · 73 posts · 35 votes
4y

Avi,

There are investment property lenders that focus primarily on the proforma you provide them.  It's like a commercial loan for SFRs and small multi-family properties.  This is what I have used to fund our rentals.  PM me and I'll arrange an introduction with the one I use.

See this reply in the discussion

8 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · St. Petersburg FL · Member since 2020 · 11 posts · 4 votes
    4y

    Avi,

    You are looking in all of the right places you just need to find the right lender. I am not licensed in NY otherwise I would help more than just advice. I will tell you there are DSCR loan programs out there that allow for first-time investors and you don't need to currently have a primary residence. These will come with a higher rate because of the increased risk to the lender but if the deal works IT WORKS!

  • Member since 2022 · 5 posts · 3 votes
    4y

    Good to know I'm looking in the right places. Thanks for the words of encouragement!

  • Real Estate Consultant · Manassas Park, VA · Member since 2019 · 74 posts · 19 votes
    4y

    Avi,
    Have you looked into FHA?
    According to HUD 4000.1, "For all Employment related Income, the Mortgagee must verify the Borrower's most recent two years of employment and income"…but that employment does not have to be with the same employer, and FHA loan rules take into account that there may be gaps in the employment record.

    There are also other options to explore: seller finance, lease option, sub-to, partner with someone who does have more than two years of employment, to name a few.

    Trying to find a motivated seller is key.

  • Member since 2022 · 5 posts · 3 votes
    4y

    I won't be living there so I don't believe I can do FHA (Also I'm not sure that clause applies if its part time work, the part time is the issue), but thank you that is good to know. Seller finance is an option just heavily dependent on the property obviously. I'm considering partnering/having someone co-sign but I'd rather not. What is sub-to? Thanks!

  • Rental Property Investor · Tampa, FL · Member since 2018 · 73 posts · 35 votes
    4y

    Avi,

    There are investment property lenders that focus primarily on the proforma you provide them.  It's like a commercial loan for SFRs and small multi-family properties.  This is what I have used to fund our rentals.  PM me and I'll arrange an introduction with the one I use.

  • Lender · United States · Member since 2020 · 1k+ posts · 499 votes
    4y

    If/when you have a property picked out, feel free to message me.

  • Eric GoldmanBusiness Member
    Lender · PA · Member since 2019 · 359 posts · 191 votes
    4y

    Pretty easy to get approved for a DSCR mortgage. find the property. find out market rents. the lender will lend up to 80% of the purchase price normally 30 years fixed. it is driven by how well the property covers itself and your credit score.

    G2loans- Investor and Commercial Mortgages531 Reviews
  • I​nvestor & Agent · Tulsa, OK · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    4y

    The crazy thing about brrr deals they are often easier to qualify for. Especially if hard money is how you buy. If you don’t have high savings but can be smart with leverage I think you should consider being leverage focused. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.