A close friend of mine has acquired a property and construction financing to renovate. He has asked me to come on as a 50% partner. I am struggling to think of how to do this at this point. His name is on the construction loan and it is secured as well as the cash to purchase the property came from a heloc from his personal residence.
I am just wondering if anyone has been in this situation before, and has found a good way to get my money in and get my money out.
Don't do it without an attorney involved. You need a clearly written partnership agreement that spells everything out. Who is responsible for what? When do you get your money back? Your profit? Who pays what if additional capital is needed for an improvement? What if you need to exit early due to lack of performance, personal issues, etc.?
Don't do it without an attorney involved. You need a clearly written partnership agreement that spells everything out. Who is responsible for what? When do you get your money back? Your profit? Who pays what if additional capital is needed for an improvement? What if you need to exit early due to lack of performance, personal issues, etc.?
Don't do it without an attorney involved. You need a clearly written partnership agreement that spells everything out. Who is responsible for what? When do you get your money back? Your profit? Who pays what if additional capital is needed for an improvement? What if you need to exit early due to lack of performance, personal issues, etc.?
Agree, however that doesn't really help answer the question of the money gets transferred? Do I simply write this guy a check and then he gives me money back later? In terms of tax implications how does that even work? I don't feel like I can just hand somebody money and then they can just give me money back but maybe I"m over thinking it. Take for example, if I wanted to use my proceeds to do a 1031, can I even do that if my name wasn't on anything. That is my line of questioning and all of your points are great.
When considering a real estate deal - throw the word “friend” out, you should not have friends who are business partners.
Ignore the fact you are friends and get an attorney to write up the agreement if it is a deal worth considering
I think that is probably world class advice. I'm more interested in the legal transfer of the money and tax implications thanI am the nature of the agreement. I will also take your advice and speak with a lawyer on that portion. We have all of those parameters pretty well laid out but are both pretty confused on the best way for me to give him the money and for him to provide the return of my money.
@Sam Schlosser Get the attorney to sort this out. In your partnership agreement make sure you have one, or several exit strategies.
My first two partnerships went sour because of no agreement and no exit strategy. One ended up in court costing close to $30,000 and the second involved a lengthy process with the banks lawyers and mortgage team to get the partner off the mortgage when they went AWOL and didn’t uphold their part of the deal. On the second deal the banks team had been part of the whole process and had full disclosure of the situation and wanted to ensure their loan performed.
Good luck! Partnerships can be rewarding and beneficial if done correctly.
Im a bit confused what you will be doing in that situation... Why would someone that already has a deal and funding need a 50% partner... Are you going to be doing all the work? For example Im currently in the market for a financing partner and Im only planning on giving out 25% for allowing them to be involved. I do everything and they provide the funding. This makes sense to me since I will be doing most of the work. But why would someone give away 50%? This makes me ask more questions than I can provide answers.