Creative Real Estate Financing

User Stats

Votes
Jon Huber
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Boca Raton, FL
Votes |
I have a HELOC, and recovered my cash... do I pay it off or reinvest?

Jon Huber
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Boca Raton, FL
Posted Jun 2 2015, 09:37

I am an advocate of the BRRRR Method, and I have put this into action this year. I took out a HELOC last year, and got a great rate and am paying interest only for ten years. I used that HELOC to purchase two great cash flowing properties. I have done some good work to improve the values, and even brought the rents up. In a couple of months, I plan to refinance those two properties, and take cash out. Considering appreciation, the fact that I purchased below market value, and the work that I have done on the property... there is a chance that I may be able to recover my original HELOC amount. I am not positive, but I am just getting an idea for it IF I can.

Would it be advantageous for me to pay off the HELOC (as a sign of good faith and to show that I can pay off loans quickly), and then take out another HELOC to invest more... or because I am still only in the first year of a ten year HELOC, it doesn't really matter and I should just reinvest the cash?

Would love some feedback from someone who would know the pros and cons from a lending standpoint, or even @Brandon Turner on #AskBP (even if he DOES say there is no right or wrong answer, just a right or wrong answer for ME... kidding, kidding).

Loading replies...