Votes
Deanna Graham
  • Dublin, OH
Votes |
Getting a Loan for a Rental at 50,000 and Below

Deanna Graham
  • Dublin, OH
Posted Sep 15 2016, 06:09

I found a Single family house I want to purchase. I am in Columbus Ohio and I want to purchase to rent it out. Has anyone run into getting financing for properties under 50,000. I must put 15% down which takes the loan to low to get a 30 year mortgage. Am I missing something here? Is this a Federal guidline or is this Specific to the lender I am trying to use.

User Stats

Votes
Tristam Griffith
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Columbus, OH
Replied Sep 15 2016, 06:43

Good morning! $35k is the minimum. The reason is because closing costs are not(by law) allowed to exceed a certain percentage, and under $35k it automatically does, because most banks closing costs are set. Usually $2,800-$3,300, then you add the prepaid items such as insurance, taxes, etc..

I can give you the names of two lenders that can do the loan. If you need them, just PM me. 

Good luck!

User Stats

Votes
Daria B.
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Gainesville, FL
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Gainesville, FL
Replied Sep 15 2016, 08:18
Originally posted by @Deanna Graham:

I found a Single family house I want to purchase. I am in Columbus Ohio and I want to purchase to rent it out. Has anyone run into getting financing for properties under 50,000. I must put 15% down which takes the loan to low to get a 30 year mortgage. Am I missing something here? Is this a Federal guidline or is this Specific to the lender I am trying to use.

I was going to do a deal on a property below $50k but it didn't work out.  Look up Jerry Padilla 

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Brad Clarizio
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Columbus, OH
Replied Sep 20 2016, 05:17

Joe Sauk at Arlington bank has done 2 houses for me under 50k. He does require 25% down though. 

User Stats

Votes
Deanna Graham
  • Dublin, OH
Votes |
  • Dublin, OH
Replied Sep 20 2016, 06:30

Brad what kind of interest rate are you getting?

User Stats

Votes
Michael Mullins
  • Investor
  • Cedar Park, TX
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Cedar Park, TX
Replied Sep 26 2016, 14:29

I'm also in the market for a rental that is for sale for 48k, but it's worth 80k located in Texas. Does anyone else have any contact info on banks / credit unions that that would be able to make that loan?

Thank you,