Is HML an alternative to a cash purchase?

Is HML an alternative to a cash purchase?

Lake Elsinore, CA · Member since 2018 · 235 posts · 300 votes
I have my eyes on a deal that would be a GREAT BRRRR/flip. However, the house doesn't qualify for conventional financing due to the rehab needed. Would you seek out HML in this case if you didn't have the available cash to buy outright? Or are there other options you'd consider first?
0Reply
10 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Lodi, CA · Member since 2018 · 206 posts · 115 votes
8y
@Courtney M. I’ve used hard money a few times in similar situations. I’d recommend finding lenders who’d refinance before you go that route. I’ve been able to find lenders who don’t require seasoning periods which saves some money given the higher interest rates. If you have the ability to HELOC that’s probably a safer bet just starting out. Hope that helps, and good luck! - Mike
See this reply in the discussion

10 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Lender · Mokena, IL · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 261 votes
    8y

    Hello Courtney,

    Your options are private money(meaning family, friends, etc), HML, borrowing against a 401K or other retirement vehicle or can you take a HELOC out on your primary home?

  • Lake Elsinore, CA · Member since 2018 · 235 posts · 300 votes
    8y
    @Bob Green Hi Bob, I could probably take out a HELOC and I'm considering rolling over my 401k now to a self-managed IRA. I don't have experience with HML but it seems like it's often utilized in these scenarios based on what I read here.
  • Attorney · Clifton, NJ · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 328 votes
    8y

    Would the seller consider any owner financing on it? You can also seek out a partner or JV the deal with someone @Courtney M. Other than that, like Bob said, you can do HML, private funds, or find ways to pull the money from other sources. Do you have a business line of credit by chance?

  • Lake Elsinore, CA · Member since 2018 · 235 posts · 300 votes
    8y
    @Dan Barli No business line of credit. That's something to think about, I do have a side business and get calls all the time but have never thought about getting a LOC.
  • Rental Property Investor · Lodi, CA · Member since 2018 · 206 posts · 115 votes
    8y
    @Courtney M. I’ve used hard money a few times in similar situations. I’d recommend finding lenders who’d refinance before you go that route. I’ve been able to find lenders who don’t require seasoning periods which saves some money given the higher interest rates. If you have the ability to HELOC that’s probably a safer bet just starting out. Hope that helps, and good luck! - Mike
  • Bernard ReiszPro Member
    CPA delivering RE Tax Tools: 1031 Exchange, SDIRA, 401(k), Cost Seg · New York City, NY · Member since 2017 · 581 posts · 563 votes
    8y

    @Courtney M.

    Lot's of great suggestions on the forum:

    • Seller carry/finance: Seller may benefit from deferral of gains
    • HELOC: if for investment, tax-deductible even post reform
    • 401(k)Loan: up to the lesser of: (a) 50k and (b) 50% of account value. This refers to a loan from the plan, if available to you. You can't, otherwise, borrow against IRA/401k - that would disqualify it.
    • Private Money; i.e., friends and family: This could be a win-win for all in a big way - they get attractive interest payments and you get your deal. If any of your friends and "non-disqualified" family members have IRA/401k accounts, they could move them to a "self-managed IRA/401k account" and lend the funds to you.
    • Hard Money: i.e., from a "professional lender" that is not a bank: Rates will be higher and less flexibility than with "private money." Hard money can be your savior, but can also be the opposite. Use with caution.
    • Self-managedIRA/401(k): Being that you've got a side business, your best option would be a Cehckbook401(k)- use it (a) to invest directly in real estate as a plan investment or (b) from which you could get a loan, as above.
    • For helpful info:
  • Lake Elsinore, CA · Member since 2018 · 235 posts · 300 votes
    8y
    @Michael Kistner Thanks Michael, I have heard certain banks are cashing out for lesser loan amounts so this seems pretty critical to making it work.
  • Rental Property Investor · Lodi, CA · Member since 2018 · 206 posts · 115 votes
    8y
    @Courtney M. Yeah that’s a pretty big deal finding out lenders LTV limit. And better to shop around before you really need it
  • Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2010 · 739 posts · 372 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Courtney M.:
    I have my eyes on a deal that would be a GREAT BRRRR/flip. However, the house doesn't qualify for conventional financing due to the rehab needed.

    Would you seek out HML in this case if you didn't have the available cash to buy outright? Or are there other options you'd consider first?

    Can you fit the hard money costs in your budget?

  • Lake Elsinore, CA · Member since 2018 · 235 posts · 300 votes
    8y
    @Chris Purcell Quite honestly, I have never analyzed a deal taking into account the HML costs/fees. So that's step one.
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.