• Investor
  • Kansas City, MO
Votes |
HELOC for down payment

Michael H.
  • Investor
  • Kansas City, MO
Posted Jul 14 2020, 13:46

My personal home is paid off and I am looking to obtain more rental property. I have a HELOC (I am going to switch back to an interest only loan) but all of the bankers I have talked to say I can not use it as a down payment for another mortgage to obtain another buy and hold.

I have used an interest only loan to purchase, remodel, and sell a flip.

What do I need to know?

TIA

User Stats

Votes
Chris Teti
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Southern NJ
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Southern NJ
Replied Jul 14 2020, 14:54

hi MIchael, each lender is different. Traditional mortgage companies tend to be the strictest with stuff like that. The problem with a HELOC is that is reports to your personal credit profile, so everyone can see it and how much you are using it. I prefer a business line of credit that is not tied to any particular asset and doesn't show up on your personal credit report. My HELOC is used as a backup plan in case I need some additional funds once I have the property.

MB Capital Solutions Logo

User Stats

Votes
Michael H.
  • Investor
  • Kansas City, MO
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Kansas City, MO
Replied Jul 14 2020, 16:21

Thanks @Chris Teti. What are typical requirements to receiving a LOC?

Steadily logo
Steadily
|
Sponsored
America’s best-rated landlord insurance nationwide Quotes online in minutes. Single-family, fix n’ flips, short-term rentals, and more. Great prices.

User Stats

Votes
Chris Teti
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Southern NJ
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Southern NJ
Replied Jul 14 2020, 18:42

@Michael H. It really depends. There are different types of LOCs that each have their own criteria such as length of business, revenue, partner situation, personal credit, etc etc. 

MB Capital Solutions Logo

User Stats

Votes
Brian G.
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
  • Los Angeles, CA
Replied Jul 14 2020, 20:46

@Michael H. I just did this, ie I used my Heloc as a down payment on a recent purchase. Time to find a mortgage broker or a more investor friendly banker, lender, etc.

User Stats

Votes
Kerry Baird
Pro Member
  • Melbourne, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Melbourne, FL
Replied Jul 15 2020, 07:33

If you take a cash draw and set it in another bank account to season, this cash for down payments may be looked at differently.  The key is to not draw too much, as it will affect your debt to income ratio.  

User Stats

Votes
Doug Pintarch
  • Harrisburg, PA
Votes |
  • Harrisburg, PA
Replied Jul 15 2020, 07:52
Originally posted by @Brian G.:

@Michael H. I just did this, ie I used my Heloc as a down payment on a recent purchase. Time to find a mortgage broker or a more investor friendly banker, lender, etc.

This.   Keep making phone calls.  If you have excellent credit it won't take long to find a lender who won't care as long as your numbers are in line.  

User Stats

Votes
Suzette T.
  • Acadiana / South Louisiana
Votes |
  • Acadiana / South Louisiana
Replied Jul 15 2020, 21:03
Originally posted by @Michael H.:

My personal home is paid off and I am looking to obtain more rental property. I have a HELOC (I am going to switch back to an interest only loan) but all of the bankers I have talked to say I can not use it as a down payment for another mortgage to obtain another buy and hold.

I have used an interest only loan to purchase, remodel, and sell a flip.

What do I need to know?

TIA

How many lenders have you spoken to? In our experience different lenders have different requirements - and some don't even require seasoning on the HELOC funds. Shop around! Finding a lender who does flips and holds investment property has been paramount for making our dreams into realities.