Financing question

3 Replies

Hi everyone.  I'd appreciate your help and guidance here.  I am considering a couple of properties and will be financing them conventionally with 25% down payment.  I plan to rent them out.  My questions is this.

Should I bundle the closing costs into the loan and deduct the monthly payment as an expense to the future rentals?  Or should I pay the closing costs at closing and amortize them?  

Does it matter that I am in a high growth market where property values are going up?

Thank you.

High Growth Is a good thing.  it means rents will be going up

In terms of your Closing Costs what price properties are you dealing with.   Typically Closing costs are between 2 to 4% of the purchase price.  

Property investments along with the income you make from your job may be a better question for your accountant to answer.  

Hi Sam,

Overall this is a matter of opinion. Paying the closing costs out of pocket will immediately reduce the amount of capital you have on-hand. 

When buying a $200,000 house, if closing costs are 4% and you pay them at closing then that's $8,000 you no longer have available. On that same property with a 75% mortgage at 5%, rolling that $8,000 into the loan will result in a payment increase of about $43 per month. Would you rather have the $8,000 to use for something else or $43 per month less cash flow on the property?

Eric Black

If the lender allows it, and your property will still generate a positive cash flow, i would prefer to conserve cash, roll the closing costs into the mortgage loan, and then let my tenants pay off the loan. 

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.