Pro Member
  • Front Royal, VA
Votes |
How to Title the Deed on first property

Chris Svendsen
Pro Member
  • Front Royal, VA
Posted Nov 2 2016, 18:59

Wife and I are getting close to finalizing our first purchase on a single family investment property and title company want to know how we would like to title the deed.  I never even thought about this and wanted to see if there were any future benefits for either tax savings, protection of assests, or anything else you can advise.  Below are the options they have for us and wanted to see what you all think.  Thanks so much in advance.  

Option 1:  Joint Tenancy: Two or more grantees may choose to hold title as joint tenants with the right of survivorship.  The effect of owning real estate as joint tenants with the right of surviorship (rather than as tenants in common) is that, upon the death of one joint tenant, his or her interest in real estate passes, by operation of law, to the surviving joint tenant or tenants.

Option 2:  Tenant in Common: Share a specified proportion of ownership rights in real property and upon the death of a tenant in common, that share is transferred to the estate of the deceased tenant.

Option 3:  Tenants by the Entirety with teh Right of Survivorship: If a married couple wishes to own property jointly, they may take title as "tenants by the entirety with the right of survivorship."  Upon the death of either spouse, ownership of the property in its entirety vest automatically, by operation of law, in the surviving spouse.

Option 4:  Fee Simple: Reserved for one person or for a single business entity.  Upon the death of the individual fee simple owner, title passes under his or her will or be intestate succession, as the case may be.

We plan on keeping the property as a rental for near future and if values drastically increase may sell to get profits out to reinvest in other properties.  If need any further info please let me know.  I am hoping to provide the title company with the answer in next day or two.  

Chris

Loading replies...