I’m loaning my dad money and I have some contract questions

8 Replies

Hello B.P.er’s, 

This is my first time loaning a large amount of money, and I would like everything to go a smooth as possible. I have an agreement with my Dad that I’ll receive 10% return on my investment upon the sale of the house. It seems very straight forward and simple. I assume I can find a template online and fill in the blanks. So my question is, is it this simple? And does anybody have any advise. 

@Luis Felix

Put a mortgage on the property, use an attorney and/or a title company. Consider a draw schedule if appropriate. Consider it a gift, expect not to get it back and be pleasantly surprised if you get anything returned.

@Carl Fischer

I vote "Consider it a gift, expect not to get it back and be pleasantly surprised if you get anything returned." as the best comment of January. So true!  :)

There are several ways you could do this, some good, many bad.

All the good ways start with an attorney and include a title company with either a mortgage or a trust deed.

You really should secure your position with some kind of encumbrance on the title. Family is family, but money is money too. Find a real estate attorney that knows hard money lending.

@Carl Fischer  

Thanks for replying Carl, I didn’t know that anybody could put a mortgage on a property. That sounds like a solid way to protect my investment. 

Thanks guys, I’m glad I asked.

What it sounds like you want is to provide your father with a mortgage: a loan that is secured by property he owns.  As others have suggested, you should contact a real estate attorney, particularly one that has experience with drafting loans (called "promissory notes") secured by mortgages (here in California we call it a "deed of trust").

@Luis Felix

And get a subordination clause so your loan will have 1st position.

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here