Skip to content
Tax, SDIRAs & Cost Segregation

User Stats

Votes
Paul Winka
  • Rental Property Investor
  • St Louis, MO
Votes |
Where to put idle $20K that's in a SD-IRA account?

Paul Winka
  • Rental Property Investor
  • St Louis, MO
Posted Jul 15 2019, 06:26

I have around $20K of lazy cash in my SD-IRA (this is with iPlan Group) that's come from some hard money loan payments that I have received. I want to put it to work, but not doing more notes.

These crowdfunding platforms like FundRise, PatchofLand, etc, are marketed thoroughly on the BP podcast, and the marketing worked on me because that was at the top of my mind as to where to put the money.

So I've called up Fundrise and RealtyMogul a few times talking to different reps that gave me different information about whether I could invest with them with my SD-IRA. I am sure it is possible but the path ahead to get the funds to them isn't obvious and they really weren't much help. I may have to go the route of creating the SD-IRA LLC to enable checkbook capability to make that possible. I am not sure it is worth the trouble or cost yet. So I am checking other options, perhaps there is a go-to option for idle money for SD-IRAs I can learn about from this post.

Most of what I have found regarding SD-IRAs here has mostly to do with their rules, like disqualified persons, UBIT, etc. But not the actual investment options. There were a few mentions in this article, but I don't see those as being quick deploy, straightforward options (like LLC or business equity), especially for a smaller sum of money.

I've read a bit about REITs being better than crowdfunding in that the former has better liquidity with the same amount of risk.

Another consideration is to put the money back at Vanguard into the 500 index. I haven't yet checked into the red tape of doing that.

Any recommendations? Am I headed down the right path? 

Loading replies...