Engelo Rumora
Property Manager
  • Investor
  • Toledo, OH
Posted Nov 16 2022, 23:45

G'Day folks,

What a disaster.

Who lost their A$$ on FTX?

Built up a large position in a variety of tokens since 2017.

As I traded, moved from one exchange to another and settled on FTX for the time being.

Was 1 day late in being able to process the withdrawal.

You win some, you loose some I guess.

Would have preferred tokens going to ZERO than loosing the game in such a way.

Any of you crypto folks believe in potential asset recovery?

I know it's a long shot but thought I would ask.

Logically, since I was down about 90% anyway during this crypto winter my mind is saying double down because I got nothing to loose (What's another hit going to do).

My heart is saying "put your tail between your legs and strut off home" haha

Thanks 

User Stats

Votes
Alex Russell
  • Lender
  • Boca Raton, FL
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Boca Raton, FL
Replied Nov 17 2022, 08:10

Hey @Engelo Rumora, It definitely is a very unfortunate situation for many and hopefully you can spring back from this, but the likelihood of you getting your money back is extremely slim, if at all. The new CEO recently mentioned that FTX customer funds were used to buy homes for employees and advisors, also had seen a report that FTX personally loaned Sam $3B. Where this money went is the golden question. Can't also leave out the fact that Sam donated 100s of millions from FTX customers to politicians and related organizations. 

It is still too early to see the full extent of this damage, but I have a feeling there will be much more pain in the crypto industry in the near-term. 

I personally would move all crypto off any exchange and into a cold wallet for the time being.

User Stats

Votes
Engelo Rumora
Property Manager
  • Investor
  • Toledo, OH
Votes |
Property Manager
  • Investor
  • Toledo, OH
Replied Nov 17 2022, 08:49
Quote from @Alex Russell:

Hey @Engelo Rumora, It definitely is a very unfortunate situation for many and hopefully you can spring back from this, but the likelihood of you getting your money back is extremely slim, if at all. The new CEO recently mentioned that FTX customer funds were used to buy homes for employees and advisors, also had seen a report that FTX personally loaned Sam $3B. Where this money went is the golden question. Can't also leave out the fact that Sam donated 100s of millions from FTX customers to politicians and related organizations. 

It is still too early to see the full extent of this damage, but I have a feeling there will be much more pain in the crypto industry in the near-term. 

I personally would move all crypto off any exchange and into a cold wallet for the time being.

Agreed mate,

I'm sure there will be a movie about it one day.

Already back in the game.

Lost the battle but not the war hehe

Thanks again 🙏

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Caleb Brown
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Blue Springs
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Blue Springs
Replied Nov 17 2022, 08:54

I have been binge watching YT videos on FTX. It's a shame what Sam did. I would play it safe right now. Crypto has been taking a pounding 

User Stats

Votes
Engelo Rumora
Property Manager
  • Investor
  • Toledo, OH
Votes |
Property Manager
  • Investor
  • Toledo, OH
Replied Nov 17 2022, 10:58
Quote from @Caleb Brown:

I have been binge watching YT videos on FTX. It's a shame what Sam did. I would play it safe right now. Crypto has been taking a pounding 

Same here

Big shame

He seems like a decent bloke.

I've been associated with quite a few of these techy guys and many see it as a "game".

They just don't get the consequences of what happens to many folks when the money is gone...

User Stats

Votes
Kenneth Woodruff
  • Investor
  • Lancaster, PA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Lancaster, PA
Replied Nov 17 2022, 11:11

I am an avid crypto investor since 2017 myself. Cold wallets are the only way to go from here.  In addition, focus on the true decentralized side.  Bitcoin is a strong long play, ETH probably as well, I have a large position in both.  Bitcoin and blockchain have a bright future.  The current atmosphere is tough and more will fall, we just need to avoid as best we can.  

Having said that, the FTX disaster will cost everyone who had assets there, no chance of a return.  I believe there is a much deeper fraud than we have seen and this is the tip of the iceberg. SBF is in no way a good person and he played the "game" and now will pay dearly.

User Stats

Votes
Colina Concepcion
Votes |
Replied Nov 18 2022, 07:05
Quote from @Alex Russell:

I agree with Alex, I would put your crypto in a hard wallet for the time being.

User Stats

Votes
Jp Watts
  • Contractor
  • Portland, OR
Votes |
  • Contractor
  • Portland, OR
Replied Nov 20 2022, 07:21

You have a pretty good outlook on the whole situation, sorry to hear you missed it by a day! I think the real fallout is still happening. More companies are in liquidity crisis now because they've been lending to/from each other in huge tranches. There's nothing safer than Bitcoin in cold storage.

The tide is going out, now we can see who's got the only pair of swim trunks...

User Stats

Votes
Ronald Rohde
Pro Member
#2 Commercial Real Estate Investing Contributor
  • Attorney
  • Dallas, TX
Votes |
Pro Member
#2 Commercial Real Estate Investing Contributor
  • Attorney
  • Dallas, TX
Replied Nov 22 2022, 13:35

Always bears repeating, Not your keys, not your coins. 

I think bad actors will always be around, there is a need for some consumer protection, but I think regular laws can do this. We just need enforcement and crypto can grow under that.

User Stats

Votes
Leo R.
  • Investor
Votes |
  • Investor
Replied Nov 26 2022, 09:13

@Engelo Rumora  sorry to hear you were affected by the FTX debacle.

This is an interesting topic, and I think it's especially interesting on a real estate-focused platform like BP...

The reason being: in my mind, real estate and crypto are opposites in so many ways. For instance, they're opposites in terms of liquidity, physicality, age of the business model, volatility, etc., etc.  ...and, my impression is that they're also opposites in terms of the mindsets of the investors (e.g.; many RE investors have comparatively longer time horizons, and I would assume that most RE investors have a lower tolerance for risk).

I'm a RE investor, and don't have any crypto, but I have plenty of friends who hold a lot of crypto, and we've discussed crypto endlessly...

At the risk of sounding like a luddite, even after years of discussions and reading countless articles, I still don't feel like I have a good understanding of crypto.  ...and frankly, I'm skeptical of people who claim to have a thorough understanding of it (yet, there are no shortage of self-proclaimed "experts" who describe crypto with the confidence of someone predicting a sunrise!)

...RE, on the other hand, is comparatively simple to me--I can wrap my mind around what makes a property valuable, what factors affect the market, the advantages/disadvantages of various RE investment strategies, etc.

Don't get me wrong--I'm not trying to knock crypto.  I've long said that my crypto friends will probably have the last laugh when we're all 80, and they have quadruple my net worth from cyrpto investments. Plus, it's not like RE isn't also getting hit right now--many people holding RE will probably take a significant hit to their net worth this year.   ...but, at the end of the day, I don't feel like I have a thorough enough understanding of crypto to go in on it at any significant level...   ...but, it will be interesting to watch it evolve in the coming years!

User Stats

Votes
Chris Martin
  • Investor
  • Willow Spring, NC
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Willow Spring, NC
Replied Nov 27 2022, 11:31

FTX is having a Mt. Gox moment. Here's a post from 2013, when others here on BP were BTC mining or sponsoring (like me) mining. I stand by my posts on that thread. It's been an interesting 10 years. 

User Stats

Votes
V.G Jason
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
Replied Nov 27 2022, 12:40
Quote from @Leo R.:

@Engelo Rumora  sorry to hear you were affected by the FTX debacle.

This is an interesting topic, and I think it's especially interesting on a real estate-focused platform like BP...

The reason being: in my mind, real estate and crypto are opposites in so many ways. For instance, they're opposites in terms of liquidity, physicality, age of the business model, volatility, etc., etc.  ...and, my impression is that they're also opposites in terms of the mindsets of the investors (e.g.; many RE investors have comparatively longer time horizons, and I would assume that most RE investors have a lower tolerance for risk).

I'm a RE investor, and don't have any crypto, but I have plenty of friends who hold a lot of crypto, and we've discussed crypto endlessly...

At the risk of sounding like a luddite, even after years of discussions and reading countless articles, I still don't feel like I have a good understanding of crypto.  ...and frankly, I'm skeptical of people who claim to have a thorough understanding of it (yet, there are no shortage of self-proclaimed "experts" who describe crypto with the confidence of someone predicting a sunrise!)

...RE, on the other hand, is comparatively simple to me--I can wrap my mind around what makes a property valuable, what factors affect the market, the advantages/disadvantages of various RE investment strategies, etc.

Don't get me wrong--I'm not trying to knock crypto.  I've long said that my crypto friends will probably have the last laugh when we're all 80, and they have quadruple my net worth from cyrpto investments. Plus, it's not like RE isn't also getting hit right now--many people holding RE will probably take a significant hit to their net worth this year.   ...but, at the end of the day, I don't feel like I have a thorough enough understanding of crypto to go in on it at any significant level...   ...but, it will be interesting to watch it evolve in the coming years!

Crypto or bitcoin, which do you not understand?

It's a shame this happened, but it's happened many a time before. If you didn't have your stuff in a cold storage, it's your fault at this point. It'll happen again.

User Stats

Votes
Engelo Rumora
Property Manager
  • Investor
  • Toledo, OH
Votes |
Property Manager
  • Investor
  • Toledo, OH
Replied Mar 19 2024, 13:54

Hey peeps,

If anyone got tangled up in this S#%@ show and you don't want to wait for the bankruptcy proceedings.

Just sold my claim to these guys for 72% on the dollar - https://www.ftxcreditor.com/

They are legit and literally after a 30min Zoom verification call sent me the funds in USDC to my wallet.  

You're welcome