• Investor
  • Philadelphia, PA
Votes |
Diversify with a vanguard index etf??

Max T.
  • Investor
  • Philadelphia, PA
Posted Apr 1 2015, 13:34
All I ever do is put money back into the properties. With class A rentals I can always find something to upgrade. My home is still not finished so there is plenty for me to spend time/money on there. One day it too will be a rental so it is all money well spent. I lately feel like putting $1000 into a vanguard index fund and setting up a monthly auto deposit of $100. My wife already puts 400:month ino her IRA. I don't have one since I like to play monopoly better. All I have is the crappy teachers pension for the state of Pennsylvania that will probably be bankrupt by the time I retire from teaching. So finish the house first or buy some stock and then keep going on the house?

User Stats

Votes
Adrian Chu
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Seattle, WA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Seattle, WA
Replied Apr 18 2015, 01:19

Unless your employer matches your IRA contributions, I would not put a single penny in an IRA. If your employer does matching, then only contribute up to the maximum matched amount.

You can achieve greater and more predictable returns from real estate than stock, so I would rather invest cash into real estate.  Find upgrades that would increase the value of your home by more than cost of the upgrade.

Good luck!

• Broker Washington (#26434), California (#02061077), and Oregon (#201223946)

Specialty Real Estate Group Logo

User Stats

Votes
Dmitriy Fomichenko
Tax & Financial Services
Pro Member
#1 New Member Introductions Contributor
  • Solo 401k Expert
  • Anaheim Hills, CA
Votes |
Tax & Financial Services
Pro Member
#1 New Member Introductions Contributor
  • Solo 401k Expert
  • Anaheim Hills, CA
Replied Apr 18 2015, 10:45
Originally posted by @Adrian Chu:

Unless your employer matches your IRA contributions, I would not put a single penny in an IRA. If your employer does matching, then only contribute up to the maximum matched amount.

Adrian, I think you are confusing an IRA with a 401k. The matching is possible with employer sponsored plans only, such as 401k. There is no matching with Individual Retirement Account (IRA).

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.
Account Closed
  • Investor
  • Cary, NC
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Cary, NC
Replied Apr 18 2015, 13:39

Dimitry is right on this one. 

User Stats

Votes
Cory Land
  • Information Technology
  • West Chester, PA
Votes |
  • Information Technology
  • West Chester, PA
Replied Apr 18 2015, 17:30

If your not invested in S&P500 now then wait. In my opinion the market is due for a correction in the next year or so. If you are really interested in getting in the market with an IRA you should wait for the next bear market to be over and front load (put a lot in to benefit from the appreciation) your account as the market goes back up.

If you want to get in now then you should try to contribute to an after tax IRA which could be used as a tax benefit also. Most index funds will be exposed to the same securities in the SP500 so if you feel the market is starting to turn you can also switch to cash.

User Stats

Votes
Adrian Chu
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Seattle, WA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Seattle, WA
Replied Apr 19 2015, 00:26
Originally posted by @Dmitriy Fomichenko:
Originally posted by @Adrian Chu:

Adrian, I think you are confusing an IRA with a 401k. The matching is possible with employer sponsored plans only, such as 401k. There is no matching with Individual Retirement Account (IRA).

Thanks for the correction.  Yes, that is what I meant.  Late night typos.  :)

• Broker Washington (#26434), California (#02061077), and Oregon (#201223946)

Specialty Real Estate Group Logo

User Stats

Votes
Max T.
  • Investor
  • Philadelphia, PA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Philadelphia, PA
Replied Apr 19 2015, 03:53

Bought the vanguard target retirement fund. Did not set up auto deposits yet. Got slammed with a huge vet bill. Still have a little cash on hand for home improvements this summer.

User Stats

Votes
Morris Lucas
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Atlanta, GA
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Atlanta, GA
Replied Jun 19 2015, 08:32

So did you continue to set up your Vanguard? I am contemplating setting up an ETF mutual fund this month, as i don't have the capital for any RE rentals yet.

User Stats

Votes
DG A.
  • San Francisco Bay Area
Votes |
  • San Francisco Bay Area
Replied Aug 20 2017, 21:31

I'm looking for a way to grow the cash that I'm saving, as I'm saving it up for down payments on future property.  

Is anyone one else doing anything like this? I live in the SF Bay Area where real estate is really expensive. 

Is there anyone else in expensive markets like Oakland, San Jose, San Francisco, Manhattan / NYC, San Diego, or Los Angeles that is using the stock market to grow their cash as they stock pile it to deploy on future real estate purchases?

I'm curious what others think of this idea. And interested to know how it's been for anyone that's actually done it.  

User Stats

Votes
Calvin Kwan
  • Oakland, CA
Votes |
  • Oakland, CA
Replied Aug 20 2017, 22:39

I have money in Wealthfront.  Over 7% returns in the last year without any management on my side.  Last week wrecked me a bit though...

User Stats

Votes
David Faulkner
  • Investor
  • Orange County, CA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Orange County, CA
Replied Aug 20 2017, 23:07

The stock investing scheme that makes the most sense to me, and has the most parallels with owning rental property (which is probably why it makes sense to me) is Dividend Growth Investing (DGI). It takes some time to research and select individual securities to invest in and build a portfolio, but the idea is that you are investing in the stocks for their dividend yield, the steadiness and growth of that yield, much in the same manner as you would invest in a rental property for its cash flow. So, if done properly in theory you would never need to sell the stock in order to benefit from owning it (though you still could), but rather just live off the dividend income, which if your portfolio is selected and managed properly should be more stable than stock prices. REITs are also a good option that often play in with this type of strategy, but that does little for diversifying your already RE heavy portfolio. Not to plug a BP competitor in the stock investing space, but I've found value in the website "Seeking Alpha" and particularly their "Dividends" sub forum if you are interested in learning more on this particular technique.

Oops ... just realized that this post was originated over 2 years ago, so I'm sure the OP has figured it out by now :) Information above should still hold today, though ...

User Stats

Votes
Steve Bracero
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Westboro, MA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Westboro, MA
Replied Aug 21 2017, 04:09

@DG A.

I have been investing in etf's thru vanguard for a few years now.... My plan long term is to put most of my money in real estate. I put money here until I am ready to buy my next property. I have no complaints from vanguard. Check it out if you'd like 

Steve Bracero Real Estate  Logo

User Stats

Votes
Paul Allen
  • Financial Advisor
  • Virginia Beach, VA
Votes |
  • Financial Advisor
  • Virginia Beach, VA
Replied Aug 21 2017, 06:06
Originally posted by @DG A.:

Is there anyone else in expensive markets like Oakland, San Jose, San Francisco, Manhattan / NYC, San Diego, or Los Angeles that is using the stock market to grow their cash as they stock pile it to deploy on future real estate purchases?

I'm curious what others think of this idea. 

You are accepting a high amount of risk by investing in stocks for short (less than 5 year periods) to accumulate cash for real estate purchases. If you're OK with potentially losing 25% or more of your investment, then there is nothing wrong with this strategy. If losing 25% of your investment is going to make you miserable and/or derail your plans, you should keep your money somewhere more stable than stocks.

The stock market has been on a good run for a lot of years now. People tend to forget about the down side when things have been good for so long. But, there will be a down side in the future. I can't predict when that will be. Might be tomorrow. Might be years from now. If you can't deal with it when it happens you should not be invested in stocks.

Steadily logo
Steadily
|
Sponsored
America’s best-rated landlord insurance nationwide Quotes online in minutes. Single-family, fix n’ flips, short-term rentals, and more. Great prices.

User Stats

Votes
Brett Goldsmith
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Los Angeles, CA
Replied Aug 21 2017, 08:34

I personally believe in utilizing a ROTH IRA, SEP IRA and/or 401k. I'm long term 30+ years in my strategy. I go primarily the index fund route with some common stock too. I put the rest of my money into Real Estate.

Account Closed
  • Investor
  • San Jose, CA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • San Jose, CA
Replied Aug 21 2017, 14:14
Originally posted by @DG A.:

I'm looking for a way to grow the cash that I'm saving, as I'm saving it up for down payments on future property.  

Is anyone one else doing anything like this? I live in the SF Bay Area where real estate is really expensive. 

I'm curious what others think of this idea. And interested to know how it's been for anyone that's actually done it.  

Daniel,

As you have found out, saving money to invest is a long and slow route. Unless you want to gamble and invest in start-up companies, most other type of investments don't produce much yield. 10% CCR on a $100k investment is only $10k/yr. How long does it take for you to save $100k?

This is where being able to "Buy for below FMV, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Rinse and Repeat comes in." It allows you to have your hard earned money working over and over again. On a value-add deal, one can add $75k-100k in equity on a $100k investment. That's 75-100% ROI. Just do one to two deals a year and you're way ahead of your peers.

Spend sometime and figure out HOW to find value-add deals, and HOW  to get agents give you the first dip at them compared to your competition rather than try to work harder and save more. That path takes way too long.

It's hard to believe but my partner and I picked up a 6-unit deal off-market THIS year for $1.3M. Unit mix consists of four 1/1's and two 2/1's. It's currently grossing $10,400/mo and still has upside in rent. We put a 75% LTV on it at 4% interest with 1 point prepay penalty for the first year and 0 point thereafter. We intend to do a cash-out refinance on the 1-year anniversary. We anticipate the value to come in between $1.65-$1.7M. Why did the agent bring this deal to us instead of our competition? Just something to think about.

Have fun figuring it all out. It's quite rewarding once you have discovered the proven path.