User Stats

Votes
Ralph Bolasny
Votes |
Lease termination of month to month tenant

Ralph Bolasny
Posted Jan 23 2022, 07:28

Hi all,

First time landlord here.  I have a tenant on a month to month lease that I recently gave 90 days notice termination for.  The tenant is not happy and communication has dropped off.  

We're coming up on the end of the 90 day period and they are not giving any indication of whether they intend to move out or not.  

Aside from serving a notice of termination, we have not asked the tenant what their plans are, not have they communicated their plans.  

How would you recommend following up? We want to make sure everything is done above board in case this goes to court.

Thank you,

Ralph

User Stats

Votes
Ryan Garrison
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Olympia, WA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Olympia, WA
Replied Jan 23 2022, 07:44

This is a State-specific question, and can even be a county/city-specific question. 

For example, WA has very tenant-friendly laws for this stuff, but Seattle has stupidly friendly laws for this stuff. 

Seattle law takes precedent in landlord-tenant law if the local law goes above and beyond state law.

Your local REIA or Investor FB group can probably connect you with a good landlord-tenant attorney in your area. It may be worth paying for a consultation and add the attorney to your team.

When you build that relationship, the right attorney won't charge you for a 2 minute email that answers your question.

Sound Home Buyer Logo

User Stats

Votes
Ralph Bolasny
Votes |
Replied Jan 24 2022, 08:11

Thanks Ryan. I am located in New York. I will look into a local REIA group.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Scott Wolf
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Boca Raton, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Boca Raton, FL
Replied Jan 24 2022, 09:07

@Ralph Bolasny, where in NY?