Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
General Landlording & Rental Properties
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Stephen Reyes
Votes |
Using Zillow for rent payments

Stephen Reyes
Posted

I am using Zillow to collect rent payments.  I like it because it is free, the tenants can pay online, it is automated, etc.  However, it takes 7-10 days (which is longer than Zillow claims) for me to actually get the payments.  Honestly waiting for the payment is not a big issue for me, however, I am worried if their payment does not "clear" I won't know for 10 days.  Am I worried about nothing?  Are there better platforms?

User Stats

Votes
David M.
  • Morris County, NJ
Votes |
  • Morris County, NJ
Replied

@Stephen Reyes

Not sure why you need a "platform."  Just have them send the rent via Zelle from their bank account.  Just about all banks are plugged into it.  Transactions are really instantaneous...

I guess you could use Paypal or Venmo, but I have very little experience with those.

User Stats

Votes
Christopher Cole
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Seattle, WA
Votes |
  • Seattle, WA
Replied

ACH payments by their nature take a few days to know if it actually clears (you can know faster for credit card payments). 7-10 days I'm guessing is something like this:

2-3 business days Tenant -> Zillow
2-3 business days Zillow -> Landlord

So in summary, you'd almost surely know within a couple days if the tenant sends a bogus payment, even if you don't get it into your bank account until later.

Baselane logo
Baselane
|
Sponsored
Baselane is the Ultimate All-In-One Banking Platform for REI Built with integrated rent collection & bookkeeping to save time so you can grow your RE business.

User Stats

Votes
Michael King
  • Navarre, FL
Votes |
  • Navarre, FL
Replied

Why don't you use Zelle? Most banks have it, it's instantaneous and free, with a text alert on deposits. Also Venmo, but takes 3 biz days I believe. Free unless you want the $$ faster. There are other apps too - cash app, paypal, who knows what else. I had one tenant who didn't use the internet, so I had her pay cash at my bank into my account. Personally I wouldn't use Zillow, I can only imagine they want to introduce a future fee for the service.

User Stats

Votes
Randall Alan
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Lakeland, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Lakeland, FL
Replied

We use Rentecdirect.com.  They fund ACH’s the following day, however if the payment later bounces they reverse the transaction.  They are a complete rental management solution for about $4/door per month.  We love them!  They charge no fees on ACH’s and have a lot of great features / services. 

randy

User Stats

Votes
Michael Noto
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Southington, CT
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Southington, CT
Replied

There are so many options to collect payments these days, but in general I would not choose one that takes 7-10 days to clear. Just not worth dealing with because there are better options out there. 

User Stats

Votes
Scott M.
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Rochester Hills, MI
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Rochester Hills, MI
Replied

Should really stop using Zillow for everything and anything.  Their goal is to put you and most people reading BP out of business.  Realtors, property managers, landlords and even investors wanting to buy properties.  Their longer term goal is to use the money you give them to put you out of business.  

User Stats

Votes
Joe Splitrock
Pro Member
  • Sioux Falls, SD
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Sioux Falls, SD
ModeratorReplied
The ACH transaction itself takes 24 hours or less, as far as money leaving the tenants account. The tenant sees the money out right away. Part of the reason that some rent payment services "float" the payment is to make sure it clears. If they put it in your account right away and it bounced a day later, they would have to pull the money back from you. This could be risky for them if you already transferred money out of your account or closed it. The float ensures the transaction clears and they make a little on interest to help fund free payments. Most of the fast ACH services will charge a transaction fee.

Zelle uses ACH but operates faster because member banks pre-authorize that funds are there. There is no reason to wait for funds to clear, because the sending bank only sends if money is there. 

User Stats

Votes
Jasmine Delves
  • Denver, CO
Votes |
  • Denver, CO
Replied

As some have mentioned already, there are other platforms out there that have a lower average transfer time (like 3-5 working days). 

Regarding better platforms, it depends on what your priorities are when it comes to features. Zillow is especially good for advertising, creating listings, etc. but there are other platforms that focus more on rent collection or accounting and financial tracking. It's worth doing some research to find the best one for you.

User Stats

Votes
Marian Smith
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Williamson County, TX
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Williamson County, TX
Replied

@Scott M. Why do you say that? I think Zillow just wants to make money, take a cut where they can to pay themselves for running the most popular real estate site in the country. I have no problem paying them to host my rental advertisements...but I don't think I would link them to my bank account.

User Stats

Votes
Replied
Quote from @Michael King:

Why don't you use Zelle? Most banks have it, it's instantaneous and free, with a text alert on deposits. Also Venmo, but takes 3 biz days I believe. Free unless you want the $$ faster. There are other apps too - cash app, paypal, who knows what else. I had one tenant who didn't use the internet, so I had her pay cash at my bank into my account. Personally I wouldn't use Zillow, I can only imagine they want to introduce a future fee for the service.

Zelle is the absolute last resort for rental payments. They only keep payment history for 90 days (depending on banking partner). There's zero security if payment is accidentally sent to wrong person. And they cap payments at around $2,500 - so depending on rent amount it's not good. Zelle and Venmo are to pay your buddy back for coffee, not transferring thousands of dollars every month.