Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
General Landlording & Rental Properties
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Matt Frazier
  • New to Real Estate
  • Carver MN
Votes |
Half way house - Good or bad investment?

Matt Frazier
  • New to Real Estate
  • Carver MN
Posted Jul 5 2022, 07:56

I found a property for sale that cash flow's a good amount each month ($1800-2000) after all expenses paid. It is a 15 unit building, with three bathrooms and a community living room. It is currently licensed by the state (MN) as a Department of Corrections half way house. Does anyone have experience with these? Pros/cons? I'm assuming rent is guaranteed by the state, but you probably cannot set the rent rates. Any insight would be appreciated. 

User Stats

Votes
Bruce Woodruff
Pro Member
#1 Contractors Contributor
  • Contractor/Investor/Consultant
  • West Valley Phoenix
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 Contractors Contributor
  • Contractor/Investor/Consultant
  • West Valley Phoenix
Replied Jul 5 2022, 08:06

Doesn't sound like anything I would want to be associated with. You have little control and never will. That's an immediate pass for me.

There are easier ways to make money....although this may sound like good money, don't get greedy, it never works out.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jul 5 2022, 08:22

@Matt Frazier if you are seriously considering it, I would check out the current lease.  Is it long term?  What are it's limitations?  Who pays it and how?  I would also want to know what the maintenance budget is.  There is the potential there for a lot of damage to the property.  I'm not saying I wouldn't do it, but I would do a ton of due diligence.  As you work through the due diligence things will become more clear.  Best of luck. 

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Chris Seveney
Pro Member
#1 All Forums Contributor
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 All Forums Contributor
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Replied Jul 5 2022, 08:27

I can only imagine what the expenses would be for this type of property. Lots of cons including I believe 75%+ of people have a relapse. Which would mean the place could have a lot of drug/alcohol activity or nearby it. Lots of calls for police to the property.... Not worth the headache IMHO

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jul 6 2022, 02:34

Having a crazy person on drugs in your house can make life a living ( ask me how I know !) .. having 15 crazy addicts in one house will likely make you want to take drugs yourself !

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jul 6 2022, 02:34
Quote from @Denny Mears:

Having a crazy person on drugs in your house can make life a living ( ask me how I know !) .. having 15 crazy addicts in one house will likely make you want to take drugs yourself !

Edit : Makes life a living hell 

User Stats

Votes
James Hamling
Agent
#3 General Real Estate Investing Contributor
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Minneapolis, MN
Votes |
Agent
#3 General Real Estate Investing Contributor
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Minneapolis, MN
Replied Jul 6 2022, 22:58

@Matt Frazier I suggest calling the DOC and sharing your knowledge level and consideration for there input, I say this as someone who nearly opened one. There is so much to know, it's a book in and of itself.